valve hitting piston

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Re: valve hitting piston

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Expat wrote:SPRIDS, re your pic. ;) How does a valve get bent in that area? Would be in the guide surely :)
It depends upon how much of the valve stem is exposed beyond its guide, how far the valve opens into the combustion chamber and the point at which the valve/piston collision takes place. Our valve guides protrude quite a long way into the inlet port. Many don't. The further open the valve is (more of the stem unsupported) when it happens the more the bending, as e.g. when a cambelt breaks. A vertical valve with little normal running clearance 'twixt piston crown and valve head will be more likely to bend the stem whereas an angled valve like ours with a more generous running clearance will most likely do most damage to the valve head (because it is at an angle when the piston hits it). If a valve spring or collets fail and the valve drops into the cylinder..................... :shock: But I guess you were aware of that already :) .
More bent valve.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Expat

Re: valve hitting piston

Post by Expat »

Well if I wasn't then.....I am now! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have never seen such carnage, and don't really want to. Not on any of my babes anyway. :D
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)