Cheap speedometer accuracy

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Steve S

Cheap speedometer accuracy

Post by Steve S »

Very impressed with the Smiths copy speedo bought from Ebay for just £19 including the correct cable; however it's over reading the milometer by a long way and so I thought I would compare the speed readings to my sat nav readings.

Turns out to be very non linear, ie overly high up to 30 mph (true 24) then 40 mph (true 35) but correct at 50 mph. Haven't had the nerve to go faster than this as yet as it's tricky reading the tiny numbers on the sat nav at speed!

Steve S.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cheap speedometer accuracy

Post by 1608 »

If its an Indian one ( looks like it ) same as mine, then good value I think. I think they are calibrated for KPM but they just stick an MPH face on it. Best way to check it is to pace somebody with a known true speedo. Anyway, at least its erring on the safe side so you won't get caught speeding.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

You will probably have to replace it at around 1,000 miles as they normally fall apart by then! You cannot beat an original Smiths Chronometric.
Best of luck.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Steve S wrote:Turns out to be very non linear, ie overly high up to 30 mph (true 24) then 40 mph (true 35) but correct at 50 mph.
That's about the same accuracy as my concentric except that I'm sure it under-reads substantially at 70 as judging by the distance it takes me to stop I must be doing at least 110mph. ;)

Later edit............

Awright, awright you clever lot - I meant chronometric - it was just a slip of the brain or a smelling pistake.

(Have I told you about my overnight trip on the Cross Flannel Cherry when I slept in a courgette?).
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 13 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

I am surprised you are getting a speed reading at all out of your Carb concentric or not!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Steve S wrote:Turns out to be very non linear, ie overly high up to 30 mph (true 24) then 40 mph (true 35) but correct at 50 mph.
That's about the same accuracy as my concentric except that I'm sure it under-reads substantially at 70 as judging by the distance it takes me to stop I must be doing at least 110mph. ;)
Perhaps it's a Premier Concentric!
Janet

Post by Janet »

SPRIDDLER wrote:

Later edit............

Awright, awright you clever lot - I meant chronometric - it was just a slip of the brain or a smelling pistake.

(Have I told you about my overnight trip on the Cross Flannel Cherry when I slept in a courgette?).
Was it in a vegetable bed?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Janet wrote: Was it in a vegetable bed?
It might've been but I couldn't see very clearly due the eye drops after my op for a detached rectum.

( :oops: the 'off topic' police will be after me now).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'

Post by 1608 »

Very good Nev. I can never remember the difference btn a Malapropism and a spoonerism :rofl:
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Clarified or rectified?