Gasket paper for G3LS 1955

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
rudelan_LAPSED

Gasket paper for G3LS 1955

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Hello,

I would like to make some paper gasket for my 1955 G3LS.
Are there illustrations (scan *.pdf) that can be printed directly on paper?

Regards, Ruddy
Life is beautiful and you have to enjoy it
Rob Harknett

Re: Gasket paper for G3LS 1955

Post by Rob Harknett »

Any particular paper gasket ? I have only made files of pre war gaskets some of which may be the same. I did make scans for 1955 350 G3LS, as I have one of those bikes. I had a quick look on my back up sticks, but have not been able to find them. The scans I made had all gaskets, so could also be used as a pattern to get head gasket etc made. I also have scans for speedo dials. But I don't think I would bother trying to make a wrong speedo to look like the correct one for my bike.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'm intrigued to know why you would want to do that because gaskets are so easily available and which you could receive in Belgium in a couple of days.
You may have a commercial printer but I certainly couldn't put gasket paper through my printer at home.

However, I can only think that if I had need of a paper copy I would photocopy an old gasket onto standard weight printer paper.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

I often make the gasket myself.
The shipping costs are important to Belgium. Every time I order parts, I lose almost the same amount in shipping costs. :roll:
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Here is the seal that I can not find (Part Number ? )

Mounts on 021340 cover, magneto chaincase ( G3LS 1955)

Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

There wasn't a gasket fitted on the timing cover as the chain is greased annd not running in oil that's why you can't find a part no.
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

This is my second G3LS and both had this gasket :roll:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stu is quite correct in saying the timing cover does not have a gasket. None of my AJS & Matchless from 1935 onwards had gaskets. Including an almost new 1955 G3LS I brought in early 1956. The picture you show is a poor home made gasket with the hole for the top screw missing. The person that fitted it must have been blind? If you think about it? If anything wants to get out of the cover it can still get out the big hole in the back cover where the SR 1 mag. armature passes through. There is more possibility of something getting in the mag. chain cover through this hole. I have put a thick rubber ring on my 55G3LS to stop water etc getting in through this big hole. It is compressed between the mag. and back of inner cover. I believe only the compt. bikes were fitted with this rubber seal.
rudelan_LAPSED

Post by rudelan_LAPSED »

Indeed, it is weird this gasket. So I will not go back.
Thanks for these informations! ;)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes just put the cover back without the gasket Ruddy, Before you do that give the AR unit a good clean. Flood it with petrol or white spirit and work it by hand until it quickly snaps shut. You may see a lot of rust colour wash out in the petrol or white spirit. The AR unit to stick open or seize if not cleaned. Give it a spray with WD 40 and grease the chain.