What's a happy cruising speed for 16MS?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I have never been able to go faster than an indicated 55.
I COMPLETELY stripped the G3LS's engine January '06. On stripdown found that the inlet cam had been fitted one tooth out of the correct register. Aah! thought I - RESULT!

Following the rebuild, including rebore, new valves etc, and 1000 mls covered in the past three months MAX speed is STILL only an indicated 55 - 58. Yes, done all the jets, timing, exhaust, valves, sticking brakes, gearing checks. I think the indicated speed is correct as I occasionally can get close enough to the vehicle in front or that I'm overtaking to read his speedo. Tad dangerous I 'spose. I ought to get one of the club lads to pace me. No-one has agreed to ride behind me so far. Can't blame 'em: Spent part of Sunday stuck in a farmer's hedge on the Engineerium Run.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
itma

Post by itma »

Makes you a hedge -Hog then Neville?
ther is only one answer to this question and that is that the speed you are most comfortable at is the optimum cruising speed; and this will depend on so many factors; my advice to you is if you can`t keep up, don`t.....
let them wait for you or catch them up at the next jam.
And if they are`nt happy with that, well not much of mates then are they?
Temptation to push your self past your own comfort zone will most likely leave you by the side of the road, upside down or waiting for the recovery truck.
Here endeth the lesson
Dave Walker

Post by Dave Walker »

A long time ago I was advised that motorway cruising was unnatural & unkind to old oiling systems and that one should close the throttle regularly rather than holding a fixed setting for miles & miles.

Is this still thought true? was it ever .. or is it an old husbands tale?
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I was told this by an ex Rolls Royce engineer many years ago, apparently it reverses the oil film.

turnill

Post by turnill »

The Harley WLC manual (dated November 1942) under 'High Speed Trips' encourages the rider to: "Develop the habit of frequently snapping the throttle shut for an instant when running at high speed. This draws additional lubrication to pistons and cylinders and helps cooling." I haven't dared take the thing above 50, but all things are relative.
Peter Turnill
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

I thought with Harley's one had to find the throttle first.

itma

Post by itma »

why ? I thought they only an at a fixed speed; ............slow
turnill

Post by turnill »

It's amazing how fast 'slow' can be when you've got a front brake that does nothing, and a rear one that just locks up the back wheel . . .
Peter Turnill
ajaygray

Post by ajaygray »

Well I think I may have found it, an easy 60 mph, no oil from the breather. A steady 65, then drips from the breather pipe, and oil consumption 1 litre in 60 miles. Running at 65 -70 for 50 miles, and the piston siezed. Uh Oh! The the bike was running really well, and was running half throttle, but when I pulled over, the oil tank had gone cold!! so looks like the oil pump has gone, unless there is a blockage in th line somewhere. The bikes still in Holland, but should arrive back late next week to investigate. Can't understand that happening though, as it has the same bottom end as the 500.

Any ideas, are there some inferior pumps out there?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

That's rotten luck Graham.
It only needs the pump plunger guide screw to unscrew or drop out and the plunger will still revolve but won't plunge - i.e won't pump.
I think it unlikely that the pump 'failed' totally any other way.
The guide screw can also be worn (mine was chipped) thus reducing the throw of the plunger and therefore a reduced flow of oil.
In my experience a total blockage seems extremely unlikely, although the breather was evidently passing a lot of oil - one litre in 60 miles.
Your findings will be useful to hear.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'