Jampot

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
shifter

Jampot

Post by shifter »

Just wondering if anyone from the (outback) north east is heading down to the Jam pot weekend in August
?
Janet

Re: Jampot

Post by Janet »

The soon to be ex-secretary will be heading down from the Durham Dales. More Midlands than North East. If you want 'proper' North Easterners, you should be looking towards Scotland. :lol:
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Cheek! I'll be travelling the well worn path from Great Ayton in North Yorkshire if I get the barrel back and some miles in beforehand. Probably even if I don't I'll be looking for a pillion ride.

Happy to fit the towbar onto someone's motorcycle - it'll fit twins and singles I reckon - and use the trailer for the kit!

Johnny B
Janet

Post by Janet »

56G80S wrote:Cheek! I'll be travelling the well worn path from Great Ayton in North Yorkshire
Draw a line halfway between the northernmost and southernmost parts of mainland Britain and you'll see how close to the middle you are, therefore you and Ron are both midlanders. Me, I live in the south. :rofl:
REW

Post by REW »

Janet wrote:
56G80S wrote:Cheek! I'll be travelling the well worn path from Great Ayton in North Yorkshire
...therefore you and Ron are both midlanders. Me, I live in the south. :rofl:
Pah! I used to live in the Midlands. The climate in Durham is definitely North Eastern.

As for the rally, Marie and I will be heading there from a campsite in the, um, Midlands! Look forward to meeting everyone there, whatever line you've crossed :beer:
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Janet

Post by Janet »

During WW2, the City of Kingston upon Hull was the one of the most bombed cities after London (some reports say 2nd most bombed) but very few people knew about it. Why have I mentioned it here? Because at the time the news reports were not permitted to use its name but referred to it as a North East town, sometimes a N.E. coastal town. I suppose that's part of the propaganda machine providing misinformation.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

They did not want to report a successful German raid. In particular name a place. During wartime all sign posts and place names were removed.
I still have a newspaper report published in the Halifax Herald, of Halifax, Nova Scotia. Titled, War comes to a typical English village, ( Roydon not mentioned ) written by a Roydon journalist employed by the Daily Mail. It read as if the village just carried on as usual, as it did in peacetime. It mentioned my Grand father ploughing a field with horse drawn plough, during an air raid. One bomb dropped in the field failed to explode. He just continued ploughing. When the UXB squad arrived, he had plough over the bomb hole. It could not be found. ( It did explode later that evening )The report also featured a picture of this typical English, which was not a picture of Roydon.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

In the 1970s I was in Bomb Disposal and often got called out to the Ditchling Beacons area of the South Downs during ploughing time, where Fred the ploughman kept unearthing 3 inch mortar bombs and the occasional 25 pounder shell (the area had been a major training area for D day and it was impossible to clear every UXB at the end of the war). He just chucked them in a corner of the field and said " they are duds, when I dropped them off my tractor they didn't go bang!" - quite a few were live as I showed him when I detonated them with a small explosive charge. He finally learned his lesson when driving a tractor pulling a potato digger. The digger picked up a 2 inch mortar bomb and the bomb was propelled through a shute into the trailer for the potatos where it detonated, showering mud and chips in all directions. Luckily no-one was hurt but he was more careful after that! Andy
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've lived in a village at the foot of the South Downs for 35 years, a couple of miles from Ditchling Beacon where I walk the dog, occasionally finding rusty tins of chicken curry rations and spent .303 rounds and the odd very corroded alloy mortar head.
My father was in Dad's Army throughout the war on 'Fire Watch Patrol' on the South Downs and used to say that their greatest danger was from aggressive cows and the British unexploded ordnance littering the area.
His patrol of 4 old boys walked the Downs with one Lee Enfield rifle between them. However, if they needed the .303 ammunition for it someone had to obtain a warrant and get a lift to Lewes police station, 6 miles away!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

May I say that my mention of WW2 wasn't for people to start reminiscing but only to indicate how different the location of 'north east' is to different people. In my example, it was what the government would permit them to publish when they had specifically banned the media from naming Hull, except in agreed circumstances. Sorry to Shifter for causing his thread to be derailed.