overseas health insurance

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
GOLDSTAR

overseas health insurance

Post by GOLDSTAR »

There is comment on the G80 forum regarding confusion at Bennets insurance, seems a time to raise the matter of overseas travel/health insurance, I discovered that most health insurances only cover the use of a machine up to 125cc, I may have mentioned this before but it is worth reiterating, Nationwide in one of their accounts offer overseas health insurance and having checked with them this appears not to have any limit on capacity of a machine ridden, this Clive is not an advert for Nationwide :lol:kind regards
Stuoyb

Re: overseas health insurance

Post by Stuoyb »

I have an annual travel policy with a "well known" insurer (other well known insurers available). This also includes the "hazardous pursuit" of riding a 125cc motorcycle.
When I contacted them about attending an IJR with an "over 125cc" machine their response was "we will look into this and get back to you". They duly 'phoned back an said " we can cover you, but there will be an additional premium". A sharp intake of breath from me and "how much?" ........... £5.95.
clive

Post by clive »

I now get free travel ( incl. health insurance ) through my partners HSBC premium current account. This also has the 125 restriction UNLESS the bike is the vehicle used to travel from the UK (also not an advert Goldstar ). In fact they also allowed me to report managed high blood pressure as a medical issue without any charge, a feature for which I have previously been hit by insurers. Worth exploring if you are with HSBC.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I have the N'wide FlexPlus current account which covers my motorhome, two cars and two bikes for home and E.U. breakdown and recovery, and it also covers any vehicle not belonging to me in which I am travelling for £13 a month, deducted from my account. It also provides very comprehensive health cover and for loss of mobile phone, laptop, dentures.........
The remarkable thing is that I don't even have to give them any details at all of my vehicles. I haven't checked whether it includes very old bikes but my Peter James cover on the Matchless automatically includes E.U. breakdown and recovery anyway.
I am aware that you only find out if insurance is any good if you have to call on it. I've only used my N'wide cover once: A couple of weeks ago I noticed with dismay late one night whilst loading my car in the drive prior to going to the Isle of Wight for what promised t be a saucy weekend that a tyre was completely flat. I can't change a wheel one-handed so called the N'wide number. 20 mins later a chap turned up and all was sorted.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

My travel/health insurance is similar to Clive's ie it comes with a package through my ban account. Regarding riding motorcycles, it only says must have the appropriate licence to ride it and wear a helmet when doing so. Noother restrictions are mentioned in the policy.

They also cover for bungee jumping and other such silly things so I think riding motorcycles of any size isn't exactly an extreme sport.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It is wise to make more considerations, now we are getting older, for health insurance.
I believe most shipping companies now insist you have health insurance. It could cost £1,000's if you have to be airlifted off a ship. You have no choice, the ship wants you safely off. Once we took the gamble, we should not now do so. It can happen to you. I have had the experience. Even when I had met what was required from a hospital Doctor overseas. The captain of the ship, that was at sea, I would be given passage home on, had to make the finale decision, if he would allow me to travel on his ship. I was kept waiting some time for the captains reply, as the ship had no internet connection somewhere in the English Channel. Even if you have health Insurance, it would be wise to check you are covered for all the countries you will visit. Also mode of transportation. Like on board ship. e.g Having European cover does not cover all euro countries now. Spain is one such country not covered by European cover.
shifter

Post by shifter »

My wife and I get free travel health insurance through our bank but we still carry our free e 11 card that covers for basic health insurance, we also take out an extra + dangerous pursuits policy out that covers both of us on any cc bike when we/I go overseas with a bike or hire one out there. Well that's what I have been told of the boss (wife)
?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Linda was quite annoyed with me when I mentioned that I don't take any overseas health insurance cover.

And after reading your comments I'll not do it again. I'll see what I can extract from the Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation; although I don't keep much in there now, there are other accounts in use for larger sums.

Peter James rescue cover has been a boon.

Johnny B