Soda blasting and jewellers lens

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Soda blasting and jewellers lens

Post by 56G80S »

Got my head and ex valve from Germany breakdown back from soda blasting together with old/spare +20 piston.

£70 quid! Makes me think I'll replace the little compressor and do it myself, I don't believe it's that difficult; I was trying it out when the old compressor failed. But all now a nice job and soda causes no damage.

Interestingly, the inlet valve seat (after dishwasher) has lightly rusted but the exhaust not at all. Both seats OK except for what looks like a tiny, tiny edge crack in the exhaust which looks more like a cut put there on purpose, perhaps it's something to do with how T&L fitted it.

The cleaned up exhaust valve is still a good fit in the guide but otherwise a mess with pitting round the face; will order a new one. The one I've this out has no markings on it (previous one was marked V56).

It is astounding what one can see when using a good eyeglass as the interior of the combustion chamber llooks like the surface of the moon seen up close. Looking at the piston which I replaced when I had the barrel bored out to +40 some time ago, I can see absolutely tiny pieces of steel embedded in the aluminium which are planed level with the sides of the piston , damage to the bearing surfaces for the gudgeon pin, a dent in the bottom edge of the skirt that I'd not noticed before and sundry other marks. Ironically, all was going fine those years ago when I had the barrel rebored, apart from a little piston slap.

Anyway time to get ordering.

Johnny B
Mick D

Re: Soda blasting and jewellers lens

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I've had a compressor in my garage for the past 20 years, if it broke down I'd replace it immediately, air tools are so much nicer to use and not expensive these days.

I always carry a jeweller's loupe in my pocket, it's invaluable as my eyesight deteriorates with age, a mini mag light torch accompanies it.

I've also invested in a USB microscope and pencil camera, both of which will put an image onto a laptop screen from where your eye can't reach.

I consider all of the above essential tools.

Regards Mick
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Be interested to see and know a bit more about the soda blasting ive got a compressor but just use it to pump up tyres as my respray skills were crap. :headbang:
Mike
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Plenty of dodgy U Tube videos to give you ideas - it really can be that simple.

I was getting soda for 50p / 100g from Tesco

Regards Mick
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Mick

If I had power at the lock up I'd get another promptly.

I used the "dodgy" YouTube guidance and it worked.

The thing is it doesn't damage the substrate; can be messing but it's only soda, rinse of and away it goes.

Johnhny B