Cables

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
mikeydpippin

Cables

Post by mikeydpippin »

I,ve had 2 throttle cables break, on my 1955 - 1959 G3,s in as many days, the club has none in stock so been looking elsewhere, has anyone ever used this bit of kit, and will the nipples fit the throttle grip on the handlebar, and all the others that will be needed.

https://www.feked.com/universal-throttl ... glide.html

If not anyone know a seller?.
Mike
Stuoyb

Re: Cables

Post by Stuoyb »

mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Stu, I thought this was the part number,?.
http://www.jampot-spares.com/store/come ... duct=22592
Mike
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Just checking stock levels, we have plenty of throttle cables in stock. Unless you require a cable for a pre-monobloc but there is a substitute listed.

T563 use instead of T430 (which is pre monobloc)

T563A as above but with mid adjuster
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Thanks Rob, this is the carb I have fitted,
http://amalcarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburet ... s/id/6656/

So I need to order
T563 Or T563a

Thinking about it the first cable that broke, had no adjuster so I was stuck and had to wait for breakdown.
The 2nd cable that broke had the adjuster, so I pulled off the adjuster part of the cable, the handlebar end section, and managed to wrap cable without sleeve around my hand and get myself home without breakdown.
Both broke at the nipple in the handlebar end.
So T563a it,s going to be.
Mike
Flash

Post by Flash »

I had one break once, so to get me home I disconnected the choke cable & used that, using the choke lever as a throttle, you have to know some of the old tricks to get you home. For other nipple emergencies I usually carry some spare ones of different sizes that I've drilled out and tapped with a 4BA screw in them. :beer:
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

As they have both broken at the twist grip nipple I'd suspect the nipple was not free to rotate where it is retained in the twist grip - worth a look.

Regards Mick
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

[quote][/quote]I had one break once, so to get me home I disconnected the choke cable & used that, using the choke lever as a throttle, you have to know some of the old tricks to get you home. For other nipple emergencies I usually carry some spare ones of different sizes that I've drilled out and tapped with a 4BA screw in them. :beer:

Brilliant idea,
The AA guy came out on the first break and managed to get a spare nipple to fit and then followed me home, did think after I got home whether I should have tipped him.

Good point Mick :oops:
Mike
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

Mick D wrote:Hi

As they have both broken at the twist grip nipple I'd suspect the nipple was not free to rotate where it is retained in the twist grip - worth a look.

Regards Mick
Agree with that Mick. Many cables I have bought need the nipples cleaning up with a small file to remove the excess solder and sometimes, inner cable, after they have been dipped in the solder pot. Unless the nipples are free to rotate in the housing a smooth cable action is not possible.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

In reply to Mikeydippin. I had a breakdown, with a car, and young AA man came out to me and was very helpful and went to lot of effort to get my old banger going again. I offered him a tenner, as I was so grateful and far from home, he thanked me but said they had to be careful about excepting tips because they should declare them to the taxman and said taxman had even set up a 'sting' operation to try and catch them out. I pushed the note into his overall pocket and said " what tip?I didn't see any tip"