Teledraulic Forks and Jampots

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Group Leader

Teledraulic Forks and Jampots

Post by Group Leader »

I'm trying to find out what oil is used in both the front forks and the Jampots (in my case a 53 16MS).

As far as I can see, the instruction manual and Mr Haycraft tell you how much oil is required for the forks and suggest that they are topped up "using the same oil" which isn't overly helpful!

Please could somebody tell me what spec oil to use and where to source it please (somewhere like Halfords would be great if only for the convienence!)?

And, while we're about it. Would I be correct in thinking the same oil would be used in the Jampots?

Thanks

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
Rob Harknett

Re: Teledraulic Forks and Jampots

Post by Rob Harknett »

For some reason I am getting uploaded file is empty. So look in your instruction book again. It tells how much oil under " Data " turn a few more pages until you come to " Lubrication " there you will see all the different oils to use manufactures names of oil and grade. 20 sae for forks and rear suspension.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Thanks Gents.

I seem to be going information blind :headbang: I've looked a number of times at a number of sources and missed it and yet there it is as bold as brass - Doh!

Now just got to track some down.

I read somewhere on a forum (Lord knows where and whether it is valid or not) that ordinary 20W-50W multigrade will be fine in this case on the grounds that the oil will remain reasonably close to ambient temperature all the time when used in forks and thus the viscosity will remain at the required 20W.

Is that correct or is there more to it?

Cheers

Alan
1953 AJS 16MS, 1939 BSA 250 and a 1/3 scale Sopwith Triplane but that's another story ..... :lol:
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It is correct or you could use ATF which is also rated at 20 grade.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Information is not always where you expect to find it Alan. You may even have to look in a different book ( parts list or sales cat. )
Eamonn is aware files for uploading are being seen as empty. Perhaps it is working OK now.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

In a 20W/50 oil the 20W bit (W = winter), simply means that the oil must have a certain maximum viscosity (let's say 'thickness') at low temperature (minus 20degC I believe). The lower the "W" number the better the oil's cold temperature/cold start performance. The '20' in 20W/50 does not relate to the cold temp test of minus 20degC. E.g. a 10W/40 would also be tested at minus 20degC.
The 'W' is not applicable to the higher (50) figure. I.e. the oil is graded 20W/50, not 20W/50W since the '50' in a 20W/50 means that the oil must fall within certain viscosity limits at 100°C (an arbitrary temp used for test purposes) so a temp not reached for forks.
Our forks are quite sensitive to oil viscosity and the amount used. Too much (even of the specified correct grade) and they'll be stiffer than they 'should' so it's important drain out all the old oil (and in my experience, the rusty water) by removing the drain plugs and 'pumping' the forks (and wiping down the shed wall afterwards).
Try the 20W/50. You can always drain and refill with SAE 20 if you don't like the fork action.
20 grade fork oil is readily available but you can mix, say 10 and 30 grade fork oils (shaken or stirred) in equal amounts to achieve 20 grade.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Group Leader

Post by Group Leader »

Many thanks all for your advice (as ever) and especially to Spriddler for the informative details :)

As I have some 20W/50 to hand I'll give it a go first, having taken note of the warning about the shed walls! :lol:

Then, if necessary, I can get some 20W in slowerer time and experiment.

I have to say though; I am having so much fun after a 40+ year absence from motorcycling and with my first AJ - it's brilliant!

Alan
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Why not get the correct 20 SAE fork oil in the first instance. No need to experiment. Perhaps off the shelf at your local motor cycle shop or Halfords etc. or order it. I have only ever used the correct fork oil. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... nt_cat/809 or look on e bay. I am sure club spares sell fork oil, but shop counter sales only for oil products. ( perhaps due to P &P costs )
bitza

Post by bitza »

30 sae oil