Help with g2 oils. New member.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Browntown_300

Help with g2 oils. New member.

Post by Browntown_300 »

Hi, i have just bought my dad a matchless g2 for his 60th birthday, (he has always wanted one). It has been stood for a very long time and has no oil in it at all. The manual is very un-clear when it comes to oil changes so i have joined this forum to seek some help. I need to find out what oils to use, the oil quantitys, and the fill and drain plug locations. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Janet

Re: Help with g2 oils. New member.

Post by Janet »

I use sae 50 mineral oil in engine, gearbox and primary chain/clutch case.
engine 2½ pints filler under the screw cap towards the front of the engine on the rhs.
gearbox 3 pints very important as the moving parts are near the top. filler, also on the rhs, cover near the top of the gearbox, held by two screws.
chaincase 1 pint, remove lower screw cap on lhs.

Welcome to the forum. I know it's only your first post but I suggest your dad joins the club.

These links should help you. They're on a Danish site, commonly known as Christian's Archives, which they let us share.
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... Manual.pdf
http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_l ... e_View.pdf
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Browntown_300 wrote:Hi, i have just bought my dad a matchless g2 for his 60th birthday, (he has always wanted one). It has been stood for a very long time and has no oil in it at all. The manual is very un-clear when it comes to oil changes so i have joined this forum to seek some help. I need to find out what oils to use, the oil quantities, and the fill and drain plug locations. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hi
Engine is 2.5 pints ( there are two drain plugs. one nearer the front of the engine, this drains the oil from the integral oil tank and most of the oil will come out of here, there is also a larger magnetic drain plug further back , this drains what oil there is in the bottom of the engine, some will come out of here but not too much normally as most oil returns to the tank when running) Use straight grade SAE 50 low detergent oil for classic bikes/cars. The manual states SAE 30 for the winter and SAE 50 for the summer but many use SAE 50 all year round. When you fill it via the large filler at the O/S front of the engine have a look in the engine and look for the small oil return hole in the side of the crankcase, fill the oil to just under that hole and run the bike for a few minutes It may take a little while for the oil to spurt out of that return hole hole especially as there is no oil in it. Once it does run it until warm (the oil level will drop) wait a little while and then just top it up to just under that hole again.

Gearbox holds 3 pints would you believe, take off the small plate on the side of the box which is held on by two screws and fill it with SAE 50(same oil as the engine) right up to the bottom level of that opening (IMPORTANT... THIS LEVEL MUST BE KEPT UP AS ALL THE GEARS ARE AT THE TOP OF THE BOX AND IF IT DROPS TOO LOW YOU COULD DAMAGE THE BOX)

Chaincase the primary chain which joins the crank sprocket to the clutch runs in that LH bulbous casing. the bottom run of the chain needs to be in some oil the capacity is 568cc (1Pint) I use SAE50 again but 30 or 40 will be fine. remove the lower of the two large slotted plugs and fill up so the oil is level with the opening, re-fit the plug.

LOOKS LIKE JANET BEAT ME TO IT!! bit like the buses, WAIT AGES THEN TWO COME ALONG
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:LOOKS LIKE JANET BEAT ME TO IT!! bit like the buses, WAIT AGES THEN TWO COME ALONG
I don't think an hour and twenty minutes would have been classed as 'ages' when our bikes were new. someone will be along soon to tell you that it was so much better when you had to send a letter that took three days for delivery and then......... ;)
Browntown_300

Post by Browntown_300 »

Hi janet and ozmadman. Thank you ver much for your quick replys, they have been extreamly helpfull. I will try and show my dad how to join the forum but bieng an old boy he doesnt really do computers lol. Thanks again for your help :D
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Browntown_300 wrote:Hi janet and ozmadman. Thank you ver much for your quick replys, they have been extreamly helpfull. I will try and show my dad how to join the forum but bieng an old boy he doesnt really do computers lol. Thanks again for your help :D
No worries but as Janet said it would be a good idea if you or him join the club as there is limited access time to the forum for non club members (can't remember exactly how long that is now though) especially if this is going to be an ongoing project. You probably won't find anywhere else on line where you can get info on these bikes as lightweights as they are known are a bit of a rarity when it comes to people who know much about them.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Browntown_300 wrote:Hi janet and ozmadman. Thank you ver much for your quick replys, they have been extreamly helpfull. I will try and show my dad how to join the forum but bieng an old boy he doesnt really do computers lol. Thanks again for your help :D
First of all, I must say you are a very good son to your Dad. I hope he enjoys his present.

The bikes instruction book and workshop manual should answer all the simple questions. It may take a while to find your way. Parts lists, sales cat. Ins book and W/shop manual all in the archives, http://www.archives.jampot.dk the latter mentioned items all in " Books " see also " Technical " which covers all the motorcycle parts. Inc. Wipac electrics, Amal carbs etc. Remember the AJS model 14 is only colour and badge different to the Matchless G2. So if you cannot find the Matchless book for the year. The AJS mod 14 book will also be OK.
Do not forget you have a limited time of free use of the club website / forum. Which is 90 days. So early October it will expire.
Perhaps your generosity will extend to consider giving Dad an early Christmas present in October. By joining him as a club member. You can join any time as membership will become due yearly on the anniversary of joining. Join him as a member to receive the A4 size club magazine every month for a year. ( for the slightly cheaper Digital membership, he will need to use a computer to read it. ) If there is a local club section near you, he may like to visit it. It will certainly be a life changing move, in making many new friends.