Final Chain Tensioner

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Peter Morris

Re: Final Chain Tensioner

Post by Peter Morris »

Yes I think you are right Rob, but according to Les at Russell Motors it was a factory extra so I don't know how that would work without a tensioner.

Obviously an after market sprocket but the backplate isn't much smaller.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Well Les, your question has anyone fitted a tensioner not really answered. Seems the general feeling is don't fit one. If I was you, I don't think I would go to the trouble and expense in fitting one, just to prove a point. It could go wrong and you come a cropper. Just keep the chain adjusted like we all have been doing all our riding lives. Also, if you did fit one and have an accident, the bottom line is, you have not maintained the bike to the manufacturers recommendations.
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

Rob, as my bike is a bitsa/special/mongrel I dont see how any insurance company could state what was standard manufacturer's spec and what wasn't. :lol: :lol:
The reason for my original question is that the older I get and the worse my arthritis gets then the more difficult it is to bend down to adjust these things, so I was looking for an easy life.
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

leswaller wrote:I was looking for an easy life.
Pay someone to do it for you! Simples! :beer: :beer:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

leswaller wrote:Rob, as my bike is a bitsa/special/mongrel I dont see how any insurance company could state what was standard manufacturer's spec and what wasn't. :lol: :lol:
The reason for my original question is that the older I get and the worse my arthritis gets then the more difficult it is to bend down to adjust these things, so I was looking for an easy life.
So are you are saying it is fully declared as a Bitsa if not I would be very worried that you have no cover.
Roy
bjork

Post by bjork »

Well, in answer to the original question, yes I have fitted one to my G15 Mk2 and it works and has done a few thousand miles. It isn't there to save me adjusting the chain, it's there as on this bike the lower run of the chain gets very close to and does sometime rub on the cross tube of the frame. This is down to two main reasons. 1) The gearbox sprocket is a huge one from a Commando. This means the chain run is lower than normal.
2) The rear shocks on G15's are longer than the G12 etc, so the swing arm starts from a lower position and the chain is lowered again.

The tensioner I have fitted is from an MX/Enduro bike, spring loaded and on sealed roller bearings. Works a treat but no, I wouldn't bother for a standard bike either.
:beer:
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

G15 Roy wrote:
leswaller wrote:Rob, as my bike is a bitsa/special/mongrel I dont see how any insurance company could state what was standard manufacturer's spec and what wasn't. :lol: :lol:
So are you are saying it is fully declared as a Bitsa if not I would be very worried that you have no cover.
It is declared as a Roy Bodge mk1
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Know the feeling Les. There was a time you used to pick something up, some one may have dropped. Now if you drop something, you wait and see if someone picks it up for you. Maybe when you're out with the lads, ask them if they recon your chain tension is OK, if not have a spanner ready for them to adjust it for you. We used to have to start one of our section members bike for him. He liked his pint and would always be last to join us when leaving. Next time he said I'm finishing my pint before I leave. We said OK we'll leave your bike ticking over for you. He soon sunk his pint, so don't get too crafty.