Final Chain Tensioner

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
leswaller

Final Chain Tensioner

Post by leswaller »

has anyone fitted a tensioner to the final drive chain on the heavy weights?
If so can you please let me have some details of how you made/bought/fitted this.
Thanks
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
GOLDSTAR

Re: Final Chain Tensioner

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I bought a cou[le of the 'snail' type from Sammy Miller and use these on the rear wheel spindle of my bitsa. however reading into your post I'm not to sure thiese are what you are looking for? kind regards
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

leswaller wrote:has anyone fitted a tensioner to the final drive chain on the heavy weights?
If so can you please let me have some details of how you made/bought/fitted this.
Thanks
Before anyone else comes along and asks the question, why, I'll get in first. Why do you feel the need to fit one?
clive

Post by clive »

ajscomboman wrote:
leswaller wrote:has anyone fitted a tensioner to the final drive chain on the heavy weights?
Thanks
Before anyone else comes along and asks the question, why, I'll get in first. Why do you feel the need to fit one?
But I had already thought that Rob!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

clive wrote:
ajscomboman wrote:
Thanks
But I had already thought that Rob!
Ah, but thinking isn't asking is it. I can see no reason or benefit in fitting one but felt the need to ask the question.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As far as I see it there are already tensioners each side. My interpretation of Les's question was that (for whatever reason) he wanted to fit a supplementary sprocket, rather like that used on a Derailleur bicycle gear set in order to maintain chain tension.

P'raps he has bought one of those bargain s/h 'ex Bob McIntyre/Works competition/TT Marshal's/Barn find' chains from Roy?

Les: "It looks too long, Roy".

Roy: "Nah, that'll be O.K. Les. You just get more chain for the same price. Fit a couple of these tensioners, only thirty quid each.... ".

:roll:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

May as well join the other's that wondered " why " So sat back to see what replies came in.
The chain would need to be slack for a tensioner to doing anything. So you still need to adjust the rear chain, allowing a bit for the tensioner to apply the correct tension. The tensioner would need to be where you normal check tension, in the middle of the bottom run. The tensioner may have to be something like that on a push bike, A little cog on a sprung arm. They don't take much punishment if not maintained and kept adjusted correctly. Having had a few mangled push bike chains due to tensioner failure. The thought of riding a bike 10 X faster than a push bike would go, is quite scary. OK a chain driven OHC engine may have a tensioner, but that's a very short chain with minimum whip. That's about the only motor bike chain tensioner I am aware of. There must be very good reason why other chains have no tensioners.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Look up "motorcycle drive chain tensioner" or similar wording and you'll see various ones for sale although probably not for our style of bikes.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:Look up "motorcycle drive chain tensioner" or similar wording and you'll see various ones for sale although probably not for our style of bikes.
Just had a look Janet. The very first option showed pictures exactly like the push bike tensioners that also assist gear change. I was referring to, with a guess of what would make a tensioner. So many little bits to wear and fail, to add to the tool box with a spare split link. Any idea's how insurance and breakdown cover would react due to a claim of the declared mod. failing ?
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

SPRIDDLER wrote:As far as I see it there are already tensioners each side. My interpretation of Les's question was that (for whatever reason) he wanted to fit a supplementary sprocket, rather like that used on a Derailleur bicycle gear set in order to maintain chain tension.

P'raps he has bought one of those bargain s/h 'ex Bob McIntyre/Works competition/TT Marshal's/Barn find' chains from Roy?

Les: "It looks too long, Roy".

Roy: "Nah, that'll be O.K. Les. You just get more chain for the same price. Fit a couple of these tensioners, only thirty quid each.... ".

:roll:
only two left now as i used one as a tow rope and they are 12 foot long. i will bring you one to the Jampot Nev.
Roy