temporary plugging of oil leak -what to use.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
StephenG80

temporary plugging of oil leak -what to use.

Post by StephenG80 »

Just discovered I have an oil leak on seam of my oil tank (G80s '540). its not massive but will need sorted. Rather than drain and spot-weld to seal it seal it now I would rather do a temporary repair and fix it along with some other jobs over the winter. Its hairline and about 3 mm long. What would folk use?
SPRIDDLER

Re: temporary plugging of oil leak -what to use.

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Folk will have all manner of preferences and there's a vast range of sealants, but since I'd be looking around to use something already in my shed I'd probably thoroughly clean the leaked oil off and put a slug ( i.e. a 'patch') of silicone bathroom sealant (preferably AMC black) over the split. Similar sorts of temporary repairs have often lasted years. I don't do shiny.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Aluminium foil self adhesive tape will also work but in all cases you will need to thoroughly degrease the surrounding area and immediately apply the remedy - may be difficult without draining the tank to below the level of the defect depending on the leak rate.

Regards Mick
StephenG80

Post by StephenG80 »

I'll try both those in order - the oil level by default goes down to below the split 8-) - mine is very much oily-rag-ride-'n-fix so non-shiny solution is fine!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Looks pretty good, oily rag ride or not. :)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)