Speedo gearbox rubing against alloy plate

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
JEAN-NOEL

Speedo gearbox rubing against alloy plate

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello,
A second new problem today ! I had a Smih speedo gearbox n° BG 5330/168, ratio 15/12, not suitable with my fully reconditionned Magnetic speedo. The hub is 63 - on. So I bought from FEKED an English made replica, ratio 2/1, suitable for Domies, early Commandos, and heavyweight AMC post 63.But it is wider (25,1 mm) than the previous (23,5 mm) and it is rubbing slightly against the alloy plate. All the spacers seems to be in good order : 1 spacer between inner bearing race and the speedo gearbox, the little spacer centralizing, this gearbox (from Norvil) fitted on the outside, and finally, the large spacer, exactly as featured in supplementary user's manual for 1964. Has someone experienced this problem ?
Cheers. J.N.
Stuoyb

Re: Speedo gearbox rubing against alloy plate

Post by Stuoyb »

Most of the available speedo drives are slightly wider than the originals.
I have used a 2mm spacer inside the speedo drive to give clearance so the dreaded rear wheel lock up doesn't occur.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello Stuart,
excellent. Just tested in the shed. I have only to modify the "centralizer" spacer and fit it Inside the speedo gear box, instead of the outside.
I have to find now a shop with a lathe.
Kind regards.
J.N.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Job done. With the modified (shortened all the smallest diameter) an the centraliser spacer fitted Inside the speedo gear box, no problem. But my repro English Made speedo gear box has hard spots when turning by hand...No problem turning by the Wheel.
I am now waiting for the next problem to solve !