No clearance under the wheels on the centre stand

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Re: No clearance under the wheels on the centre stand

Post by 56G80S »

"have you seen them knobblies!"

Stop wearing the shorts! On topic, the Matchless has always rested on the two wheels as well as the centre stand but of course I have jampots. Ironically when I got the Matchless the PO had fitted Girlings but they didn't really fit. I can't remember how he'd done it.

Hope I can still afford the TosserProp. Spoke to Barry at T&L, the re-sleeved barrel is just waiting for the standard piston to come in so he can hone to size.

Then there's the soda blasting to pay for.

Not to mention the other things I thought I'd do while the Matchless was hors de combat.

Steady Roy.

Perhaps I'll do all the running in going to and returning from the Jampot if all goes well and then re-tighten the head on return.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:
Hope I can still afford the TosserProp. Spoke to Barry at T&L, the re-sleeved barrel is just waiting for the standard piston to come in so he can hone to size.

Then there's the soda blasting to pay for.
The pleasure of a Sunday ride for a greasy biker's breakfast lasts far longer than the pain of a few bills ;)
Perhaps I'll do all the running in going to and returning from the Jampot if all goes well and then re-tighten the head on return.
Aaarggh! John, with your sad history of riding a freshly fettled bike to rallies I think you'd be better to stay local for the shakedown period, even if it means sneaking out from the missus at 2 in the morning.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g5wqian

Post by g5wqian »

on my 56 model 30 i have jampot shocks , i did have a bit of trouble a couple years ago with the centre stand and lack of height so i took it apart and fixed it .

what my own setup had was an old and twisted stand , the stand only has a bit of thin wall tube bracing it and it is easy to twist the stand making it not sit level etc .

what i did was to straighten out the stand on the bench and in the vice , then i welded an additional brace ,a piece of 30x6mm plate across the legs to stiffen it up .

i also built up the feet using some 6mm plate and ground it to shape of original feet but gave the stand slightly more height .

i have it now so i have only a very slight looseness of the rear wheel if i lift the back of bike up but in the main it sits with both wheels down on ground .

it i stable now but the stand is really only good on hard level surfaces , and when on gravel drive i have bent up some alloy chequer plate with some 45deg angled sides to put the bike on its stand on so it wont fall over .

i did note that if you have the bike on centre stand and engine running , that if you rev it up or if you have it idling faster than normal it can have a tendency to "walk" backwards on the stand , so need to be carefull leaving bike running and unattended for a few mins especially when cold because the idle speed will go higher when it warms up .

i would say that if the stand was made to lift the bike any higher then it would be hard to get it onto the stand when parking it up .

i allways put my hand under the front of the seat and the other hand on the handle of rear mudguard an d swiftly pull back and onto the stand and it is fine .