No clearance under the wheels on the centre stand

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
JEAN-NOEL

No clearance under the wheels on the centre stand

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello,
new problem today !
I had Hagon shocks, swapped today Girling replica from AMC CLASSIC SPARES.
With the hagon I had clearance Under the rear Wheel, bike on the centre stand. Now, no clearance. The Hagon were 11 3/4 long between the centre of the bushes, Girling are 13".
Is it normal to have the 2 wheels touching the ground ? Are Girling replicas too long ? Tyres are K 82 3.25 & 3.50 / 18. Centre stand looks O.K.
Thank you for your help.
J.N.
Rob Harknett

Re: No clearance under the wheels on the centre stand

Post by Rob Harknett »

Using a centre stand on level ground the bike should rock. This assists wheel removal. Wheel removal on a bike with a rear stand also had a front stand in the form of and rear stay for the guard. You can of cause block the stand if you want to remove a wheel. Even if you always find level ground to park on, your bike is not really safe. The stand must carry all its weight, if it sinks a little the bike will fall. I am sure you are well aware of all that. So a little reminder may make you consider not to take a chance your bike will not fall. You can stand the bike at home on a board. The simple solution would be to also carry a board with you when our riding, or just use the stand ?????? You have not mentioned this. If your bike is lower, surely the side stand would sit the bike in a more upright position. At the correct angle the side stand bears the weight. So you do have 2 stand problems to over come. I guess you need to get suspension length right. I don't know much about Girling but seem to recall some models had a special bottom clevis for AMC. You have 18" wheels, are they correct for your year / model bike
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Thank you, Rob.
My bike is post 63, so bottom end on shocks are not clevis (Norton hub), and 18" is the good size for the year.
I have tested the bike on good ground : no problem. No clearance, but just a few load on the rear Wheel.
To work on my jack bench, i have put un slim board (3/4") under the centre stand, and the rear Wheel clearance is about 1"1/2. Prop stand is perfect on good grounds.
In a campsite, on the lawn, it is necessary to bring a small board for either centre and prop stand.
Thank you for your help !
Kind regards.
J.N.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That's about the same as I do with most of my bikes Jean. Tyre size will make a difference. Like fitting 3.50 instead of 3.25. Add to this, wear etc. on all parts of the stand and fittings. The result is the problems you have now found. It is a very common problem most of us put up with. It has been discussed many times here on the forum. Some suggestions coming up, on how to modify the stand.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

No need to modify the stand Rob, he'd be better off just buying a new easy roll on roll off one from me.(When they arrive that is) :beer:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ajscomboman wrote:No need to modify the stand Rob, he'd be better off just buying a new easy roll on roll off one from me.(When they arrive that is) :beer:
Would that be the 'SwiftLift'? (or the 'TosserProp').
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

I went through this pain recently. My new hagon shocks were slightly shorter, so the reverse was true for me. However, the difference in length in your case is rather a lot more than mine, 1 & 1/4 inch longer on yours. What is the recommended length according to the Girling shocks chart in the online tech info I wonder. You don't say what bike. TTFN Jack
John Marshall
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

Mine has both tyres on the ground. But have you seen them knobblies!
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

the Girling list says: 1962 -1964 G12 CSR 12.3" and 1965 on 12.9"
Poul Hansen
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:No need to modify the stand Rob, he'd be better off just buying a new easy roll on roll off one from me.(When they arrive that is) :beer:
It did cross my mind Rob, but I was not sure if your stands were to ease getting the bike on and off the stand. Also lift higher to solve this topic problem. I guessed correct you would take the trouble to advise.