Wet sump valve

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Peter Morris

Wet sump valve

Post by Peter Morris »

Hi All,

I'm looking for a anti wet jumping valve for my G3c, I don't trust myself with a tap. Has anyone used one of these type valves? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-to-12mm-B ... qWbJ7nI0Uw

I had a small one of these, took it apart and now I'm not exactly filled with confidence it this type.

My other bike has a stainless valve that looks a much better part (please see pic), I have searched on the internet and cannot find one like it. Does anyone know a supplier please?

Thanks
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G15 Roy

Re: Wet sump valve

Post by G15 Roy »

I have many taps fitted on bikes with no cut out device other than a note on the head strock to remind me. Never had a problem YET :o
Roy
shifter

Post by shifter »

Do what I do and use the bikes regular and in the winter if the weather is bad and the salt is down start them up bring to temp once a month
?
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

The oil pump on a G3C , assuming it is the 'dribble and spit' plunger (Pilgrim) type, is unlikely to generate enough suction to lift one of these spring loaded ball valves off its seat. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. An oil tap with built-in ignition cut-out would be a better choice in my humble opinion!
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Your "humble" opinion is more than good enough for me Bob...... No valve it is then.
Peter

P.S. Thanks for working out the gearing ratios for me a while back Bob....HUGE difference!
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

I have two bikes with oil taps fitted, a G12 and an A10. I used the ball type used in oil central heating lines to which I fitted 1/4" BSP tails.
I would never, ever use a one-way valve.
A useful tip which someone posted a while ago is to cut a piece of white plastic waste pipe and slide it over the kickstart rubber to remind you to turn the oil on before you kick it into life - leave it in the garage and put it back on again when you put the bike away and turn the oil off.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Fortunately I don't have a problem on the G9 with wet sumping although there is a tap on it which I leave on all the time but like Jim I fit B&Q gas taps on the rest of muy bikes to prevent this but it's routine now that I turn the oil the same time as the petrol, BTW, I also use these gas taps for the petrol. :beer: :beer:
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Thanks Jim & John, Getting worried about the one way valve on my G15 now :?
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

You only have to seize an engine once before realising the folly of taps & valves in oil lines. It puts you right off them. Taps - folk forget to turn on. Valves - only have to fail once. Not happened to me, but my pal forgot his tap - G11 totally ruined. It's a big risk just to save a little work. TTFN Jack
John Marshall
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

image.jpeg
What can I say
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roy