Fork seals and bushes

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Flash

Fork seals and bushes

Post by Flash »

I have developed a leak from my teledrolic forks and I also noticed there is quite a bit of play backward and forward movement, I have never had to replace anything on the forks side since I had the bike, now, my question is, what am I likely to need to rebuild the forks, Its a 1957 G9, I believe that they are 1 !/4" ?
Many thanks in advance

John :?:
Mick D

Re: Fork seals and bushes

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Best case would be only the top bushes, oil seals, drain screw fibre washers and depending on how you remove the seals maybe the damper bold fibre washers, two of each - I'm assuming you have the fork breakdown illustrations from the archives.

Things you may discover:

Worn stanchions - expensive, wait until you know their condition for sure
Worn lower bushes - play will be improved once top bushes are replaced, badly worn lowers may well be accompanied by worn sliders - expensive.

Are you sure the play is from the forks themselves - could the steering head bearings need adjustment?

Regards Mick
Flash

Re: Fork seals and bushes

Post by Flash »

Mick,
Thanks for the info, I was thinking, only top bushes & oil seals as I doubt if the hardend bush would have worn. I think it must be my time for replacing seals & bushes in forks, as i've just recently had to do the Golden Flash also the A7, it seems like they all happen at the same time. :headbang: :headbang: