Fuel cleaning agents

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
JimFitz

Re: Fuel cleaning agents

Post by JimFitz »

Janet wrote:Duncan, I put that in my bike before its first run this year. It will get another dose if I have to lay it up for the winter (or to be mended if required). I wonder if this is why I had a successful Westward Ho Run. If so, I should have put some in the headlamp. :lol:
You need this for your headlamp Janet
Smokekit2.jpg
Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Janet

Post by Janet »

It wouldn't fit. I have a Wipac light.
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

It's a universal part ;)

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Janet wrote:Duncan, I put that in my bike before its first run this year. It will get another dose if I have to lay it up for the winter (or to be mended if required). I wonder if this is why I had a successful Westward Ho Run. If so, I should have put some in the headlamp.
I should give your Honda a treat as well, the fours seem to appreciate it.

The WWHo was fully down to carrots, I saw your headlight there is no other explanation.
Janet

Post by Janet »

JimFitz wrote:It's a universal part ;)

Jim
:D
Duncan wrote:
Janet wrote:Duncan, I put that in my bike before its first run this year. It will get another dose if I have to lay it up for the winter (or to be mended if required). I wonder if this is why I had a successful Westward Ho Run. If so, I should have put some in the headlamp.
I should give your Honda a treat as well, the fours seem to appreciate it.
That's the plan. I've got it's engine on the bench as it needs a bit of TLC because it's done 50,000 miles since its last overhaul and needs re-ringing. I'll put in a new cam-chain while it's accessible.
The WWHo was fully down to carrots, I saw your headlight there is no other explanation.
Well, it is supposed to be a challenge. :rofl:
Janet

Post by Janet »

Mick D wrote:Hi Janet

That's my point :)
Then my post was badly written of I've misunderstood you as it seems to me that I totally disagree with you.

No doubt I'm wrong as my headlamp isn't the only thing that's dim around these parts.
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all your comments on the above topic ... the guidance on usage was exactly along the lines outlined by Duncan. The mechanic was advising me to stick a bottle of this 'magic juice' into a full tank of petrol before laying the motorcycle up for the winter, starting it up and running the engine until the exhaust emissions were clean. Apparently the initial exhaust will be alarmingly smokey!

So it's designed as a one off treatment each year to clear out any rubbish that may build up, particularly in the carbs - this guy really recommends it for multi-carb motorcycles (like your Duncan) as it usually saves taking them all down, cleaning and re-balancing. I could see that as being worth a try for £10 a bottle - probably a bit of overkill for my G3, but there you go.

I shall try it out at the end of the season and let you know if I see any difference.

On a final note, I generally agree that my G3 seems to be pretty forgiving of fuel quality and seems to require remarkably little to run on ....

Cheers, Bruno
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Maybe I should try it in my VT500E, it doesn't want to start at all even though there was a spark and fuel in the tank. Blocked jets or knackered diaphragm I reckon.
Grawding

Post by Grawding »

My VFR 750 was running pretty rough following its first outing this year, always run it on super unleaded from a branded station rather than supermarket fuel which seems to run more ethanol in their fuels. New fuel no better, so time for a carb strip which is not fun on a Vee Four :cry: I drained the tank and changing the fuel filter then empty the float bowls no rust, very clean but a slight brown red residue in the filter :? But none from the float bowls :? Speaking to a colleague at work he suggested an agent that he had used on marine outboards call Sea Foam, its a US product but available here from eBay/Amazon bearing in mind a full set of repair kits would £120+ I thought 18 quid and saving 4 hours of nuckel scraping was worth a try not to mention the language involved :ugeek:

Snake oil or not I purchased the said product. Instructions slightly vague but enough to dose 70 litres of fuel. So not wanting to bung it all in I dose the tank 19litres with 150ml of the stuff that smells like rocket fuel then a 50 mile run. Starts OK but still no better 3000 to 5000rpm runs like a lady dog, above 5000 OK all the way upto 12000rpm. After 50 an improvement yes, rideable yes, still fluffy at low revs but no misfire. Anyway to cut a long story short I've just completed the NC500 rode 1700+ miles and by the forth dosed tankful the VFR was running perfectly, was it the SeaFoam snake oil, I think yes, would I recommend it, yes but will I do a full carb refurb this winter, yes but for less than 20 quid give it a go. :D
Last edited by Grawding on Mon May 29, 2017 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.
Albert Einstein.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Hello All,
Have to agree with the use of SeaFoam which is available here off the shelf all over. It was recommended to me as a fuel preserver and general system cleanser when added to petrol or oil tanks. I don't do many miles on my G3 and always buy ethanol free gas and treat it with SeaFoam at 1oz per gallon. This mix goes in the tanks of my five gas powered garden machines as well as the Matchy and I believe extends the useful life of the gas as well as inhibiting corrosion in the fuel systems.

The yard machines always fire up quickly and run well after sometimes months of being idle and I'm convinced the bike benefits from it.Occasionally I'll dose up my modern bike too!

Hasten to add I've no connection with the product or manufacturer in any way. :)

Regards,

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)