campsites

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tingleypete

campsites

Post by Tingleypete »

Dear All,
We are off to the Alps this summer, looking for small campsites in Germany, we know some in Austria/Switzerland, but have only found massive overcrowded ones on the way(apart from on the Mosselle)
Janet

Re: campsites

Post by Janet »

If you look at the Eurocampings websit you should find a page that lists small campsites. Of course, ity depends on what you consider to be small but they have some that take less than 50. It's still a lot but not as bad as the holiday village types. I've been looking at sites in Germany recently and they seem to be quit expensive, but holidays are for spending money, aren't they? :(
SPRIDDLER

Re: campsites

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tingleypete wrote:Dear All,
We are off to the Alps this summer, looking for small campsites in Germany, we know some in Austria/Switzerland, but have only found massive overcrowded ones on the way(apart from on the Mosselle)
Are you on a bike, in a car, m/home, caravan..........tent?

When taking my m/home I occasionally use sites in the ACSI guide (discounts off-peak) and then view the size/location etc using Google Street View to check its size/surroundings.

https://www.campingcard.co.uk/

By motorbike with a tent I just take pot luck when spotting somewhere that looks quaint/rural/alongside a river etc., but I never go abroad in high season and I've never found a site that couldn't find a spot for an old fella, a 'bike and a 'pup' tent.

Knowing exactly 'when' in the summer you're going is relevant. Everywhere in Europe will be very busy from mid July to end August.

If you are in a m/home there are many small Stellplatz (Aires in France) which are free or at little cost (Euro 7 to 10). You can't book ahead though.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'