Haynes manual

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
altette

Haynes manual

Post by altette »

Why is it I wonder that our wonderful AJS/Matchless bikes have never had the honour of their own dedicated Haynes workshop manual ? - I have owned many different makes of motorcycle over the years (British, German, Italian and Japanese) and have always had a Haynes manual to go with them - the same with the cars that I have owned...

I recently assembled all of my Haynes manuals together in a tidy up moment and was impressed at how many makes, old and new are covered by these ever useful guides - my brother and I were very grateful recently when doing some repair work on his BSA B31 to have a Haynes manual (a brand new copy at that - thanks ebay) at our disposal- to be honest I am not sure what we would have done without assistance from Messrs Haynes on that occasion...(BSA gearboxes are not familiar to us)...

Some say that these manuals are now outmoded, the internet has all the information that could be possibly needed, it is just a matter of a quick search and all questions can be answered - I'm not so sure that that is the case...In my experience the information is often difficult and time consuming to source and quite often is contradicted by another source on the same subject, sometimes leaving you scratching your head and making a 'Best Guess' and hoping your experienced hunch is correct....not only that but the information can be fragmented, one search will give information on one topic, but another search may be required for something else - there is something about a manual, a printed manual that has everything you need between two oily finger stained covers...it is there on the shelf when needed, you can scrawl notes on it and you don't need to take your laptop down to the shed for reference etc....I still think they are very useful items and I don't know why Plumsteads finest have been cold shouldered...after all there are a great many thumpers and twins still around and they were always very popular....

What say you all - is it now too late ? are you all so experienced at engine, fork and 'Jampot' rebuilds that you don't need a manual ? - what if Haynes agreed to do one...would you buy a copy ? - I know I would....
kernow kid

Re: Haynes manual

Post by kernow kid »

Hi altette, it's an interesting point, I'd not really thought about the Brit bikes that they have done a manual for. I've run hot and cold about them over the years...I guess all the AMC info is available, but like you say it'd be handy if it was collated in one place.
I think my main gripe with Haynes is that there are never enough pictures...when you've bought a twenty year old Suzuki TS50X for your lad that's been abused by a dozen hamfisted donks, it's things like where the loom runs and what clipped the oil pump feed pipe down that you'd like to know!!
I don't know how the copyright works now for tech info?
I'd actually thought about you tube video tutorials for some jobs and also the 'how does that fit' questions like I've mentioned. They wouldn't trouble any copyright although I'm not sure I could cope with some former Freeman's catalogue model from Essex who's name rhymes with Oi explaining how to fit a side stand spring. I suppose you could sub title it.. :rofl:
kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
altette

Post by altette »

Yes - I know what you mean about video tutorials - they can be so useful and I agree that the traditional Haynes books are not perfect, what I have sometimes found is that the photographs are sometimes not that clear - in part due to the abysmal paper they use - it seems to be ordinary newsprint (not good for photos)...this combined with over or under inking by the printers can sadly reduce the clarity....however at least it is all there, in one book - so no web searching and so convenient - you can even carry it with you on a long journey just in case you need to to a 'Roadside' engine overhaul or whatever...

The range of the Haynes manuals for 'Brit' bikes is in fact quite extensive and makes it all the more odd that there is not one for us Ajay Matchy riders....BSA singles, Unit singles, Bantam, Rocket 3, Unit twins and pre unit twins - Velocette singles, Norton twins (featherbeds), Norton Commando, Vincent twins, Triumph twins 350/ 500 and Triumph twins 650/ 750, Triumph Tiger Cub to name but a few who have been honoured....

I think the new AMC manual could be the start of a new 'Classics' range with some of the clubs accumulated experience within it...perhaps a new approach using todays viewpoints on things -useful mods, upgrades and so on...with a couple of thousand club members worldwide - I think it could be a big seller..
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think Haynes come into being at a time when many old brit bikes had been covered from the late 1920's onwards, By Pitmans and Neil's manuals. People were not using brit. bikes so not much of a market for them. They were probably stretched keeping up with new models of bikes and cars that would sell in greater numbers.
G12atlast_LAPSED

Post by G12atlast_LAPSED »

As a recent convert to G12 ownership, I was surprised to find only the, worse illustrated than any Haynes, factory manual was all that is available. The usually excellent Bacon 'Restoration Guide' is certainly not one of his best either. The factory owners' handbook is equally vague in places too.

Despite having owned lots of Brit bikes, there are always foibles to learn and apparently stupid novice questions to be asked. It's lucky that we have such a wealth of helpful knowledge in the club. Long may it continue.

Simon