Modern traditional bike alternative

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
moley

Modern traditional bike alternative

Post by moley »

Hi all , my father and I love restoring classic bikes currently we have a ajs short stroke, triumph t110, 6t and 47 speedtwin , 3/4 restored g70, tri cub, corgi, munrestored bsa a7, my dad is having problems with the strength of his arm and is thinking of getting a modern bike , it must have a short seat height , prey 300-500 cc any ideas folks !!!! Cheers andy & dad
alanjennings

Re: Modern traditional bike alternative

Post by alanjennings »

How about a Mash or an SWM?
Alan [Morini] Jennings
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi Moley,
If your dad doesn't mind the slightly Harley style, Yamaha Virago or Dragstar is good. They do a 250....shaft drive and easy to live with, but the Virago models are getting on a bit so some scabby ones out there.
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Jock mctavish

Post by Jock mctavish »

Try a royal Enfield? I have a C5 classic single seat, electric start or kick if you feel up to it. The newish UCE engine seems to be reliable enough and still gives that old bike feeling. Image
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Bit heavy perhaps, the two I mention go about 160 kg a lot lighter than the new Enfield and comments on the forums are not too complementary about the new engine!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

I'd suggest a late "80's Honda 500 XBR. Light, pokey, chuckable and you can pick up a good one for less that £3K. I got one a few months ago as my modern Bonneville T100 was getting too heavy for me and it's one of the nicest bikes I've ever ridden.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

petert120r wrote:I'd suggest a late "80's Honda 500 XBR. Light, pokey, chuckable and you can pick up a good one for less that £3K. I got one a few months ago as my modern Bonneville T100 was getting too heavy for me and it's one of the nicest bikes I've ever ridden.
There's a few on ebay now at half that price!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycles-S ... br&_sop=15
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

I love it when a 1980's bike is considered to be modern. :D

Rob C
moley

Post by moley »

Hi everyone thanks for the replies, I suppose the swm might be a goer I think I am going to Maidstone next sat to look at a few, anybody got a Swm ? Good and bad points required cheers andy
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

I had a Sixtie's Speed Twin that I really enjoyed but it was getting too heavy to heave around the garage and to start so sadly it had to go, although my AJS does not seem to have got any heavier over the years. Eventually after much heart searching I weakened and bought an eightie's Honda 250 ccs (my first foreigner, in 50 years of biking) I have to admit that it is easy to ride and just right for 'popping to get the paper' and I feel much safer on the main road with decent mirrors, flashing indicators and bright lights. But it ain't a patch on the AJS for pleasure or satisfying riding.