Registration numbers

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Registration numbers

Post by 56G80S »

Before taking the "new" trailer out the other weekend to see if the elongated drawbar had cured the weaving (yes, it does) I stuck some white car size numbers onto the black paint underneath the right hand tail light where the PO had fitted his number plate (apparently towed it with a modern Yamaha).

I thought it would be better than no number and my car mechanic was shut.

I am about to order a "modern" plate which will fit over the stick on ones as I can't find the one modern plate off the trailer that I abandoned in Holland even though I know I removed it!

BUT why do I need to? I set the spacing out to be correct (pedantic git) and it matches with the age of the Matchless.

Johnny B

PS Got it weighed as well - 60 kg ironically exactly the same as the one abandoned in Holland!
kernow kid

Re: Registration numbers

Post by kernow kid »

Hi Jonny, I'd suspect that you'll need the number plate to satisfy an even more pedantic plod! Although I'd be impressed if a plod knew the relevant regs and requirements for motorcycle trailer number plates!
I'm sure you intend to or have stuck a GB sticker on too, as I think a pedantic euro plod would be pleased to relieve you of some Euros for no sticker!!
I wonder if a bike trailer can carry a bike sized plate??
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Harry, thanks:

"Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional 'black and white' number plates (for example,
white, silver or grey characters on a black plate).
Since April 2016 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1976 can display the older style plates. You must:
n
have applied to DVLA, and
n
be registered within the
‘historic vehicles'
tax class.
Vehicles constructed 40 or more years ago are exempt
from tax. The 40 year exemption date rolls forward
automatically each year on 1 April."

So if the trailer is part of the vehicle.................

I'll probably get one made up anyway as I prefer the reflectivity with the trailer.

I have the GB sticker ready and waiting, there's already one on the top box on the Matchless.

Cheers

Johnny B
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

I suspect that the "vehicle" would be the trailer. So a trailer built after the cut off date would need a modern plate even when towed by an older vehicle.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
pkr87

Post by pkr87 »

A modern reflective number plate may not look right with your 'rig' but as trailer lights are none too reliable at least you will have some indication of your presence for following drivers, at night. Places such as Halfords or a motor factors will make you a plate but you will probably need to show your V5C and maybe your driving licence.
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

The whole number plate situation is now very tightly controlled. For a legal plate you need to show V5 and proof of address...passport is safest. Even on line 'show plates' suppliers won't just say ' yes mate, bung us a tenner and we'll make up whatever you want'.
kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Fortunately my local motor engineer is now more of a friend than a service provider, it'll be fine getting the plate.

Paul - you're spot on.

Johnny B