MPG

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Harry44

MPG

Post by Harry44 »

For the third time running I've got home to find the carb loose. The studs are too short and possibly the wrong thread that screws into the head. The club spares don't have any new studs in stock but I had some whitworth thread allen bolts in "the box". On the right hand side the allen bolt screws straight in no problem just needing its length adjusting. But 'tother side the tickler gets in the way so it needs a nut and stud. I cut the head end off one of the allen bolts and cut a metric thread :oops: on the plain shank add some thread lock and a 6mm nut. Sorted.

I also got the calculator out and I'm getting 69.93006993006993 mpg not bad for running in but may worsen if I can keep the carb nailed to the engine.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
dave16mct

Re: MPG

Post by dave16mct »

Whitworth, metric???? The studs should be 2'' X 5/16" 22x26, BSF in the head, and Cycle thread for the nuts. Use threadlock in the head.
Dave.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

My carb nuts were fine until I replaced the grotty old ones with shiny new stainless ones. The new ones kept undoing.
A dab of thread lock seems to have fixed the problem...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

with the warmer weather your mpg should improve and you can expect at least 69.93006993006994, perhaps even over 70 mpg :lol:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I have some reduced headed bolts that work fine come to Kempot jumble next Saturday and I will give you 2 FOC. Just make sure you let me know you are coming.
Roy
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

G15 Roy wrote:I have some reduced headed bolts that work fine come to Kempot jumble next Saturday and I will give you 2 FOC. Just make sure you let me know you are coming.
FREE????? Are you feeling OK Roy? Beware Harry, he'll probably want to swap them for your bike :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Did I say two or Free???
Roy
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

G15 Roy wrote:I have some reduced headed bolts that work fine come to Kempot jumble next Saturday and I will give you 2 FOC. Just make sure you let me know you are coming.

Thanks for the offer Roy but hopefully its fixed. Obviously the threads in the head have been butchered at some point so its no longer BSF but usually threads in alloy are coarse and they seem strong enough now there are longer studs/bolts in there. I went metric for the nut on the stud because I had a die that size and the spanner size across the flats is smaller than a bsf nut so its easier to get a spanner in there.

Just using what I had. If this don't work its head off and helicoils.

ps where's Kempot ?
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Should have said Kempton auto jumble this coming Saturday Kempton park race course
Roy
Janet

Post by Janet »

Harry44 wrote:Obviously the threads in the head have been butchered at some point so its no longer BSF but usually threads in alloy are coarse
AMC had to be different.