MPG

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tommy RE

Re: MPG

Post by Tommy RE »

G15 Roy wrote:Did I say two or Free???
No you said you were going to give somebody something for no monetary return. I'm still getting over the shock of you offering to give something away for nothing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You must be developing a more cuddly side to your nature in your old age :shock:
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Tommy RE wrote:
G15 Roy wrote:Did I say two or Free???
No you said you were going to give somebody something for no monetary return. I'm still getting over the shock of you offering to give something away for nothing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You must be developing a more cuddly side to your nature in your old age :shock:
Would also like two bolts for free :x
Roy
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Partly hijacking tis thread but diving in on Dave's apparent knowledge.

On my 56 G80s I thought I'd fit a new distence piece (AMC Classsics) between the head and the new 389 (from the Club). The one that's been on since the mid 70's together with the Concentric has a smaller bore than it should, only by about 1/8".

It won't fit. Perfect match for the carb and inlet bore though.

I can't get the nuts on the studs and Steve doesn't supply the wrong stuff; refitted the old one. I wonder if the long ago PO changed the studs - what should their dimensions be in terms of the available length of the stud when fitted?

Johnny B
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The studs are 2" x 5/16" and the spacer is 3/4" long and 1 5/32" bore.
Dave
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Dave, Thanks.

When I've put the new wheel bearing in the trailer that the matchless is towing to the IJR I'll check that.

Johnny B
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

I have an identical problem. New carb spacer from AMC Classics for 1963 G80CS. Too thick (20mm). Nuts only thread on halfway. Studs are standard. I think Steve must have spacers too thick. The original black one was 11/16ths thick. TTFn Jack
John Marshall
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

jack clegg wrote:I have an identical problem. New carb spacer from AMC Classics for 1963 G80CS. Too thick (20mm). Nuts only thread on halfway. Studs are standard. I think Steve must have spacers too thick. The original black one was 11/16ths thick. TTFn Jack
That's only a 2mm difference approx, so can't really see that being the root of the problem. My 56 CS uses the 20mm spacer with new studs supplied to the original length and I manage to get most of the nut on. Certainly way more than half a nut.
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

The difference between the new spacer (@ 20mm) & the old spacer (@ 11/16ths or 17.463mm) is nearer 3mm. I fitted a new 389 carb from Amal too, so need to check if the carb flange is thicker. Might account for a little more/less space, but we definitely have a problem with these new spacers. 20mm is an oversize on the original anyway. TTFN Jack
John Marshall
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

jack clegg wrote:The difference between the new spacer (@ 20mm) & the old spacer (@ 11/16ths or 17.463mm) is nearer 3mm. I fitted a new 389 carb from Amal too, so need to check if the carb flange is thicker. Might account for a little more/less space, but we definitely have a problem with these new spacers. 20mm is an oversize on the original anyway. TTFN Jack
I'm running a new carb too, I suppose the simplest fix is to make new studs or adjust the spacer thickness. I'm sure you'll sort it.