Beware old tyres!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
56G80S

Re: Beware old tyres!

Post by 56G80S »

I'm using the Roadriders at 22 front and 26 rear and that works OK; might push the rear up a bit with the trailer behind the Matchless.

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

56G80S wrote:I'm using the Roadriders at 22 front and 26 rear and that works OK; might push the rear up a bit with the trailer behind the Matchless.

Johnny B
John I suggest you contact Avon about pressures because that's way too low for modern tyres with soft supple sidewalls. When I had Roadriders fitted they suggested 28 as the min pressure front and rear and 32 rear when loaded.
Afs pete

Post by Afs pete »

Good point, I think my tyres and tubes are from 1960! :shock:
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Rob

Thanks, there are times when things are a little skittish but I thought that was me and crap riding! You are more robustly built than me, I'm only 12 and a quarter stones, but I'll heed your advice.

Was that for a single or a twin? I recall that the unladen weight for a single is 410lbs (no oil or fuel) but IKBA about the comparative weights.

Thanks

Johnny B
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

56G80S wrote:Rob

Thanks, there are times when things are a little skittish but I thought that was me and crap riding! You are more robustly built than me, I'm only 12 and a quarter stones, but I'll heed your advice.

Was that for a single or a twin? I recall that the unladen weight for a single is 410lbs (no oil or fuel) but IKBA about the comparative weights.

Thanks

Johnny B
It's a general pressure for most tyres nowadays, some have more TT100's 30-32 depending on size etc. Too soft on a front will give very vague handling at times especially when pushing on into a corner. You'll not go far wrong with 28 front 32 rear with the trailer.
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

That's right Rob, and this is what I said all the way along: pressures have, by and large, increased by around 8lb to cope with softer modern compounds.

I'm actually nearer 18 stone and so I pump up the rear tyre to 30/32 psi. I'll try not to fall off again, especially since I've now replaced all of them on my two bikes. No guarantees though!! :lol:
Expat

Post by Expat »

Oo'er, I'd better go and sneeze in my tyres. Fitted a pair of Gold Seal K70's, 3.25/19 front, 3.50/19 rear and have been running with 24psi front, 26 rear.

I'm no lightweight so had better put more pressure in. ;)
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)