Beware old tyres!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Janet

Re: Beware old tyres!

Post by Janet »

alanengineer wrote:you would enjoy the ride down here. Its so hot now, i am stripped off to just my tee shirt.( sorry, no photos)
I hope it's a very long T-shirt.
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

By the way, I forgot to mention that an acquaintance of mine unfortunately lost his life a couple of years ago when riding out on his Matchless G80 due to the fact that his tyre suddenly deflated (probably due to an old inner tube failing). He was going down a hill on a winding road on Exmoor and hit a bank on the opposite side of the road and was thrown from his machine. His mate following a little way behind had the misfortune to run over him as he lay in the road and he was killed. His mate suffered not only the trauma of running him over, but also was subjected to arrest by the police for dangerous driving, even though it wasn't entirely his fault. His bike was impounded whilst the investigations took place and he had to live with all this hanging over his head. Two years passed before the police decided that he wasn't to blame and it was only after the coroner's inquest that the evidence led them to that conclusion. The chap had only bought the G80 from a dealer in Cornwall a couple or three months before and obviously didn't know the provenance of the tyres or tubes fitted on his 1955 machine.

So do check those tyres and inner tubes, if you can't or don't remember when they were fitted.
Last edited by Mckorkins on Thu May 11, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

When the nut on the valve isn't tighten or -better- omitted, a tilted valve is a sign for low pressure.
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Interesting post, will check my tyres, what exactly will I be looking for, perished tyre, pressure, valve secure.
Would there be a date on the tyre.
Mike
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Good old Google just found this,

The date your tyres were made will be on the sidewall in the form of four numbers usually preceded by the letters DOT. These numbers represent the week number and year, so 3410 will be week 34, 2010. Use that information to make sure you're buying tyres with the longest shelf life possible.

This info is not on most of my tyres, had a quick look and found a rear tyre badly perished but good tread.
Need replacing me thinks, Thanks probably saved me from falling off.

WP_20170509_001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mikeydpippin on Tue May 09, 2017 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

Certainly that applies to the tyres made by Avon. According to the numbers, mine were made just a few weeks ago!
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

The date marking on a tyre often called a DOT marking because it is used to comply with the US Department of Transport regulations will as you say give the week number and year of manufacture. If has only 3 digits the tyre was made in the 1990s. The figure 1 being 1991.

The lack of number may mean the tyre is older than that.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

DOT code should look like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Mckorkins

Post by Mckorkins »

My Model 18 Ajay's tyre had the following marking next to the DOT sign: ←8. The arrow pointing left indicates the tyre was not made in this millenium, but back in the late 90s - 1998 in fact.
Last edited by Mckorkins on Tue May 09, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

mikeydpippin wrote:Interesting post, will check my tyres, what exactly will I be looking for, perished tyre, pressure, valve secure.
Would there be a date on the tyre.
Seems that the tubes cause more issues and you know the only way to check those!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed