Enthusiastic members or not?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Flash

Enthusiastic members or not?

Post by Flash »

I have set up the South Kent Section of the AJS/Matchless once again, after having some possitive feed back from some new local members of the club and asking if there was a local section, we have had two meeting at a very good venue, which is quite central to most. I spent two days doing voluntary car parking along with two other members and raised £233 to put in the funds for the section, I am sending out PMs on the site and telephoning others to let them know where we meet and when but it seems like I am beating my head against the wall at the moment :headbang: :headbang: . I set this up, as it was too far for the members in this area to go to the Kent section, Just how enthusiastic are our local members when it comes to doing things with the club, or are they more interested in the Vintage club?
I will give it two more meets and if there is no better response I'm afraid it will have to die.

Kind regards TTJohn AKA Flash
G15 Roy

Re: Enthusiastic members or not?

Post by G15 Roy »

Hi John I understand how you feel but it takes years to build a section it will never happen in one or two meetings its not all done in a Flash stick with it.
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Even long established sections have their ups and downs. I have been a member of the East London & Essex section, almost since it was formed. During that time attendance dropped to 3/4 people at meetings. When numbers attending started to rise again it reached a all time high. Changing a venue or the meeting date can take time for attendance figures to settle. You win some or loose some, some attend more often, some less often.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

A good fish and chip night with Robs music quiz is always brings more to a meeting 38 last night.
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Quiz makes a little break for the wives, not having to listen to us talk motor bikes all night Roy. It did however add a little bit of fun to the evening. Your team even won after getting the tie breaker questions correct. I did however notice a form left on a table that some one must had filled in as I gave the answers, but they would not had got away with the cheating. The grand total they got was 35 correct answers. But there were only 34 questions asked.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Roy.
I know what your saying mate but, I organised an event for last Saturday to go to Lydden circuit for a track day, arranged to meet up at 09-00 in the morning at a meeting point, it did rain a little but not one person turned up, so I went on my own, meeting one member down there, had a great day out.
I have run the National branch of the BSAOC open day for the past six years, which is a great success. the members there get the whole weekend camping at a fantastic venue for only £15, very good entertainment is laid on for them, food provided at a very reasonable rate, not far from Kettering either and a few Jampot members turned up on the Sunday, unfortunately I will not be running that this year due to it clashing with the Polish rally. I really beleive that the members are different, in different clubs, some more freindlier than others. Not wishing to offend anyone but there are members that vertually live within spitting distance of a club that don't bother to attend.
There will be a meet at the Chequers PH Petham on Monday night, even though I realise its the John Bull rally this wekend & some folk may be away, hopefully one or two may show up.

Regards John :beer:
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Have to say that it's a very long time since I went to a section. Turned up at Otley a couple of times 30 odd years ago but felt out on a limb and aabout 125 mile round trip. Think I went to East Riding once but same story, long run from just 10 miles south of Middlesbrough.

However, was almost completely igenored on the time that I went to the old VMCC meet at Teesside Airport (now Durham Teesside of course) a long time ago; in fact it was worse than that I was positively looked down on as not riding a Rudge / Velo / Vincent or some other more "elevated" machine.

That relatively early experience coloured my view and it's only recently I've turned up at Jampot / Internationals and had a good time.

Johnny B
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

56G80S wrote:Have to say that it's a very long time since I went to a section. Turned up at Otley a couple of times 30 odd years ago but felt out on a limb and aabout 125 mile round trip. Think I went to East Riding once but same story, long run from just 10 miles south of Middlesbrough.

However, was almost completely igenored on the time that I went to the old VMCC meet at Teesside Airport (now Durham Teesside of course) a long time ago; in fact it was worse than that I was positively looked down on as not riding a Rudge / Velo / Vincent or some other more "elevated" machine.

That relatively early experience coloured my view and it's only recently I've turned up at Jampot / Internationals and had a good time.

Johnny B
And been made most welcome by all well almost. ;)
Roy
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

56G80S wrote:Have to say that it's a very long time since I went to a section. Turned up at Otley a couple of times 30 odd years ago but felt out on a limb and aabout 125 mile round trip. Think I went to East Riding once but same story, long run from just 10 miles south of Middlesbrough.

Johnny B
Similar with my local section some years ago not been since.
Chemists do it with test tubes
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

I have always been made welcome at the Kent branch(150 mile round trip) and the S Kent branch. Always come home with a question answered or something i have purchased and had a jolly good time.