The future

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Expat

Re: The future

Post by Expat »

:D :D :D Reminds me of when I first tried changing brake pads on the wife's Peugeot I think it was, years ago and needed a 7mm hex key. No such thing exists in a standard set so you either buy one or.....pay someone to do the job. ;) I did buy one. :)

It's just not easy or fashionable (read, why bother? ) to mess with modern vehicles. Here, we run a mixture of five cars, vans for delivering and two motorbikes. Mostly I just change oil and brakes, don't have the equipment or time to do much else.

Back in the day, Dad would get me out of bed in the mornings to press the starter button on the old Wolseley 6/99, while he cranked the handle to get it started so he could get to work. That, and weekends spent de coking, brake bleeding etc etc, got me interested in vehicle maintenance. Fix it yourself.....that's life!

Most modern vehicles are so much more reliable now and there's so many more distracting pastimes.

The few that have an interest will get less and less in number but I feel will still prevail.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

Youngster here....

I can understand your opinion about the youngsters not having the skills anymore to repair/build a motorcycle. But this is not the only problem, as a 27 year old I chose to go to a technical school and learn to work with my hands. Many friends of mine chose to study and to aim for a "better" job meaning they not have to work with their hands. Wich results that the majority of my friends don't know anything about nothing when it concerns technical stuff. They have to call someone to fix the problem for them, someone will come and will ask 30€-40€/hour for their services, and they just pay it. It's not only that they don't know anything, it's a problem with their mentality.

Ps: I did not say that each person who "studied" doesn't have technical knowledge, it's a fact that majority of them doesn't.

As for me, I think I was born 50 years to late for I rather sit in my garage with a spanner in my hand and a sigaret behind my ear then to lay down in my couch and watch tv....

Thank god there are enough people of the "older" generation who is willing to help the few youngsters that are willing to learn. As I noticed very early in my membership on this forum! Don't hand out fish, learn them how to make a fishing rod!
Not fired is always a misser!
clive

Post by clive »

keep up the fishing Vincent
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Well said, Vincent. ( My other bike!)
Alan [Morini] Jennings
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

Oh Alan don't make me jealous! :cry:
Not fired is always a misser!
DM2

Post by DM2 »

alanjennings wrote:Well said, Vincent. ( My other bike!)
A Firefly ?
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Certainly not a firefly!! But someone was trying to sell one on e- bay for£5,500!!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
DM2

Post by DM2 »

alanjennings wrote:Certainly not a firefly!! But someone was trying to sell one on e- bay for£5,500!!!

Yes I saw that listing not likely to sell at that price.

Made me think maybe his Mrs wanted him to sell it.
I imagine him talking to his wife "Yes dear I have tried to sell it but no interest as yet"

If he's right and I am wrong on current prices please don't tell my Mrs what cyclemotors are fetching :lol:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

DM2 wrote: Made me think maybe his Mrs wanted him to sell it.

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

kernow kid wrote:As someone who at 49 is looking forward to a few more years motorcycling, one topic that hadn't been mentioned is whether we will be allowed to ride our classics!!
Will a time come when that deadly toxin petrol is closely controlled and rationed due to health and environmental reasons. .Three rides a year, pre booked and monitored??
And who would have foreseen Ernie Dorset's diesel bikes becoming 'dirty, deadly emitters of killer particles' !!
I have no problems with electric bikes and fully expect to own one in the next ten years, and whilst I'm not particularly political, i wonder if Brexit may at least enable us to make our own rules about classic vehicles.
kk
Look at it from the government's side. How many people frequently ride classic bikes (or drive classic cars)? From the numbers I see out on the road, compared with the total amount of vehicles, very few. When they're making policy, why would any government make special provision for what they'd see as a tiny minority? They weren't concerned about the consequences of putting ethanol in the petrol. One party leader proposed a ban on all petrol and diesel cars by 2040. Another wants to stop sales of new petrol and diesel vehicles within 10 years. To maintain a balanced political view, I haven't found a policy on this by the third major party. I don't like it, but I'm aware that it isn't just classic motorcycles that are affected by 'progress'.

I suggest we all get out on the roads as often as possible while we can. Who knows, we could be seen by someone who thinks "I'd like to get one of those" and then does.