Stafford Motorcycle Show

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Janet

Stafford Motorcycle Show

Post by Janet »

If someone was thinking of wandering down to the Stafford show this month, does anyone well experienced of the event know on which day and at what time during the opening hours the approach road is quieter. I, that is, they don't mind short queues as they, would be sitting warm, dry and comfortably in the car but wouldn't want to be queuing for several hours. I'm guessing that reduced queues to the car park will have correspondingly reduced queues to get in the gate.

Ta, in advance.
dave16mct

Re: Stafford Motorcycle Show

Post by dave16mct »

There are no short queues at Stafford! Quietest day is Sunday. Before 9.30 if possible. Best way for you would be M1, A50, at Uttoxeter take the A518 which will take you the 'back' way straight to the showground. Even then you may end with a queue to the car park gate. If you go from the M6 you could be looking at a 4 mile queue. Once in you will have to join the queue to the tunnel (under the road). If you have a ticket it's quicker, also there's an OAP and disabled side of the gate. All may have changed since I last went.
I went every year from 1980 (Belle View, Manchester) until a few years ago when I found the whole thing too tiring.
Anyone who has never been will be absolutely amazed by the scale of it. I hope you enjoy your day there.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If show stand organisers and helpers get a "pass " that may be a perk to encourage stand helpers to volunteer.
Standing in a queue for hours, in the cold, after a long drive, and not even a comfort facility available, is certainly not an inviting situation to find on arrival.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I last went there about 10 years ago and on my way home I came upon a scooter/car collision. Sadly, despite my efforts the teenaged rider died the next day in hospital. I don't really like going to big shows (read: I have panic attacks in crowds) and was only thinking of putting in an appearance for public relations purposes. Perhaps I may be excused.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I always tried to do and see everything and always came home exhausted with a 'head like Birkenhead' (bad headache).
My other club, the MT Riders Club used to go every year and had a huge outdoor display of around 50 MT350's etc. Everyone loved to see them. They also did the 'Help for Heroes' display and collection. They all paid (quite a bit) to camp and display the bikes for the week-end, but were treated badly by the organisers. They were moved every year, put on awkward corners etc. In the end last year we were told at the last minute there was no room for us. So we camped about 20 miles away so anyone could go for the day. The only ones who went were to help on the Help for Heroes stand.
This year we're camping in Shropshire instead, so no I won't be going to Stafford, I'll be riding my little MT350 around the lanes.
Dave.
Janet

Post by Janet »

dave16mct wrote:also there's an OAP and disabled side of the gate.
Harumph!!! If I know any OAPs or disabled people who are going, I'll let them know.

I'm not even old enough to have had a ration card.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

No need to harumph Janet, put that hammer down! Obviously not aimed at you but it did come in handy last time I went in through the front gate. We had a disabled friend with us and we also paid OAP rate, and I was pleased not to have to join the queue which stretched over the horizon.
Dave
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

dave16mct wrote: My other club, the MT Riders Club used to go every year and had a huge outdoor display of around 50 MT350's etc. Everyone loved to see them. They also did the 'Help for Heroes' display and collection. They all paid (quite a bit) to camp and display the bikes for the week-end, but were treated badly by the organisers. They were moved every year, put on awkward corners etc. In the end last year we were told at the last minute there was no room for us.
I'm afraid that is the way Mortons are going with the shows. They have dramatically cut down the area available to clubs and looking at the plan for this years show there are more traders in the main hall than clubs.
For several years now they have made it harder to get passes for bikes and stand staff. Basically all they seem to want is a large autojumble with fee paying traders.
Its almost coming to the point where bike clubs will pay for the pleasure of providing a display. :x
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Janet, Dave is correct, if you come from Uttoxeter there is not normally a long queue, that is at 8.30, see you there. Dudley.
Janet

Post by Janet »

It looks like I've volunteered to man the stand. If I set off early I should be able to get there (road conditions permitting) before the bad queues and crush of people.
Then I need to find where to park and to meet Ian Massey, who says to go to the trade stand entrance and then phone him so he can bring me a wristband.

So, three hours to get there plus two to find where I'm supposed to be after I've arrived. I think I'd better ask Ian to put some crosses on a site map for me. Otherwise I could be wandering about outside the fence all day. :rofl: