Embarrassing newbie questions on oil changes...

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
G12atlast_LAPSED

Re: Embarrassing newbie questions on oil changes...

Post by G12atlast_LAPSED »

Almost there :) I have all the fluids out now but, after shining a torch into the oil tank, see no filter sitting proud of the bottom of the tank as illustrated in item 5 P13 of the instruction manual. The pipe is crimped on with a brass ferrule, it'll take a bit of persuading off... I'm almost minded to feel that there is no filter in there. Am I looking for an obvious gauze visible from the tank filler?

Thanks,

Simon
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

When I dis-assembled my oil system, (believed to be undisturbed from manufacture), I found the filter gauze to have slipped down inside the flexible pipe - I'm guessing that it would have been far enough to make it difficult to see from the oil tank. The crimped brass ferrules may not hinder you removing the pipelines, there were no ridges on the tank outlet / inlet pipes on mine.

Regards Mick
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Very carefully put a large screwdriver under the oiltank and gently lever the (rear) pipe with brass union also pulling the pipe downwards off the tank. A rag on it will prevent scatching the paint. Take care not to dent the brass. A bent bit of wire down the pipe will pull the gauze up if it's disappeared.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Depending on how rigid your 'flexible' pipes are it may be better to remove the pipeline at the lower connection, (to the crank case), this will allow you to twist the pipe on it's connection and finger pressure may well remove it.

Regards Mick
G12atlast_LAPSED

Post by G12atlast_LAPSED »

Many thanks guys. Fluids all changed and the oil tank filter located near the engine union of the feed pipe. Glad I searched the pipe as the filter was full of awful crud.

Simon