Tyres

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
shifter

Tyres

Post by shifter »

Can anyone advise me the best place to get tyres and tubes from at sensible prices ?t
?
Flash

Re: Tyres

Post by Flash »

Shifter

You only get what you pay for, its senseless trying to ecconamise with tyres, fit the best and forget the expense, I use Metzlar Lazer Tec on the front and Heidenau on the rear and I feel safe. :beer:

TTJohn AKA Flash
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Can anyone advise me the best place to get tyres and tubes from at sensible prices ?t
Decide on which tyres you want first and then start searching you can sometimes get a better deal for a pair, there are as many opinions on the best tyres as there are on oil and depending on how you ride most are suitable, make sure your tube is a major brand one though these are generally thicker and more robust than the budget ones.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Thank you I attempted a ride out on my model 20 today 1/2 a mile away from home and the front tyre went down very rapid got home and took the tyre off to repair tube alas the valve had detached itself from the tube the tyre is looking hard up as well hence wanting to replace them both. I have just orders an Avon speed master 2 (same as the tyre that came off) and a quality tube delivered for £75.00 again thanks for your help
?
Janet

Post by Janet »

A warning for those who don't know. The neck where the valve fits can be pulled from the tube if the tyre is under-inflated and is able to move on the rim. Modern tyres, even those made to the same tread pattern as old ones, have softer side walls so need a higher pressure in the tube to give them a solid seat. Use the pressures for the tyre, not those shown in the original manuals.
REW

Post by REW »

Though I have to report that my G3L with "modern" Speed Master tyres has done thousands of miles at 18 psi front and 22 rear (maybe a bit more with camping gear). I am not a big lad and the 350 is quite light but more pressure than described and it rides as hard as nails. My M20 however is happier at 4 or 5 psi more, given it weighs quite a bit more, judging from the effort needed to push it around the garage!
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I run my Skidmeisters at 26 front 28 rear (30 rear with all the camping stuff).
A few years ago I bought a pair of 3.50x19 Mitas from Central Wheels for £33 each, thinking I'd done really well. Later I saw the same at Pneus online for £30 each (delivered). I've just looked and they're still £33! They are OK too. Delivery is free if you order 2 or more tyres.
Dave.
Harry44

Post by Harry44 »

dotcode5.jpg
Old tyres can be dangerous. However most tyres have a date code on them it usually follows the American DOT approval marking then the manufacturers code ie factory and a code for tyre size then a serial number and finally the age code the first 2 numbers are the week of manufacture o1 to 52 then the year a three digit code will be 1990 or earlier a four digit code will be after the year 2000
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
shifter

Post by shifter »

Oh bugger I should have waited Dave I have just seen your text on the forum but I will be needing more so jotting down the info Thank you
?
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Is it you advertising for torpedo sidelights? If it is there's no name or phone number on the ad.
Dave