Manual v handbook

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
G12atlast_LAPSED

Manual v handbook

Post by G12atlast_LAPSED »

Hi all,

I have the Instruction Manual 57-64 that covers my G12 but wondered if there is an owners' handbook - one that details routine maintenance rather than a full strip/rebuild - if so, where would I get one?

Thanks,

Simon
Afs pete

Re: Manual v handbook

Post by Afs pete »

Morning, I get on with the Pitmans book of the matchless, more about every day running than full strip and re casting your own crank!
Janet

Post by Janet »

I don't think there was an owners' manual specific to your bike but there is this, that covers all heavyweights. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... models.pdf
I think parts of your workshop manual have been extracted from these manuals but there may be other information that it doesn't have.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Afs pete wrote:Morning, I get on with the Pitmans book of the matchless, more about every day running than full strip and re casting your own crank!
I have one of those. Sadly, it doesn't cover lightweights. I was given it, along with four other books printed in the 60s, plus one from 1974, The Castrol Book of Motor Cycle Care. Since Castrol is in the business of selling lots of oil, I wonder if Roy has been working from this book when building his bikes. :rofl:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... models.pdf

The factory " Handbook / Instruction manual " supplied with every new machine, was quite basic. They did give a new owner a guide on how to use and maintain the machine. Anything not covered would had been considered it should be dealt with by a dealer/mechanic.

It was " Workshop manuals " that did cover some of the work that was considered a job for the dealer / mechanic.
For later lightweights, singles, twins check out the above link for 1957 / 64 " Factory workshop manual "
I like the Pitmans workshop manuals also. You do need to get the edition for the year of your bike. So you need to check inside the book, where you will see " revised dates "

Up until approx. 1958/9 we had Illustrated parts lists & Instruction books for each model. Also various publishers produced Workshop manuals. After the 50's it all changed. We just got non illustrated supplement parts lists of parts that differ etc. What workshop manuals that were about, were not as good as the old. So for post 1950's you do need to use what ever is available, in conjunction with the last of the better illustrated parts lists and workshop manuals.