16ms on the old e bay

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
shifter

16ms on the old e bay

Post by shifter »

16ms for sale I quit fancy any information would be appreciated, Thanks in advance
Item number 122429785338
?
Rob Harknett

Re: 16ms on the old e bay

Post by Rob Harknett »

It says 1954, frame and engine numbers do not match. It looks more like a 1955 with a later engine top end.
Note, triangular castings on frame rear end, SR1 mag engine, front and rear wheels, headlamp, all 55 onwards.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes it's obviously a 55 model, might have been registered late 54. It looks very nice, pity he couldn't be bothered to take more pictures. I don't like the later AJS badges, lightweight?. The smaller, correct ones look much nicer. Other than that it looks very good. (I don't know why he's put a finned exhaust clamp on it - what's it clamping??) Also I'd have a monobloc carb but that's just because I like them. Perhaps ask him for more pictures.
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

missing the torpedo side lights in addition to Robs comments but a neat looking bike if you don't worry about it being totally original.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The tank badges should be of the type with the narrow outer ring for 1955. I also dislike the rear dual seat nut and bolt fittings, which need a larger washer to cover the seat eyelet. The correct 1/4 26tpi screws much neater. Having a quite flat domed, slotted, chromed plated head, the dia. of the eyelet.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Just be aware that this is his/hers only post on ebay and strange that no reserve has been set so check it out thoroughly as with no "reserve has not been met" message @£2500 seems a bit of a risk on the sellers part to me
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
shifter

Post by shifter »

Yes Ozmadman I am starting to think there is something not quit right re what you have pointed out among other warning bells Thank you
?
BRobbo

Post by BRobbo »

Apart from the zero feedback, on the face of it this does not look like the usual m/c scam which normally requires buyers to make contact outside of ebay. The start price is low but like a reserve it ensures the seller will at least receive that amount and a low start will attract bidders hoping for a bargain.

The best way to out a scam seller is to ask to view the bike personally and look at the paperwork as well. It's never a good idea to buy sight unseen. Failing that try and talk on the phone with the guy and you will get a better impression of what you are dealing with.

Good luck

Barry

PS if on making further enquiries you believe it is dodgy you should report it to EBay.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Barry
I have e mailed the seller about an hour after the ad went live no reply as yet, There is no other contact information available so I will wait and see what happens.
donkey
?
poplargreg

Post by poplargreg »

He does specify "payment on collection" which is encouraging