Headlight

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
highfield

Headlight

Post by highfield »

Would a 6volt 50w 40w 7inch sealed-beam headlight replace my existing 30w 24w without melting everything,the bike is a 61 G80cs
g mitchell
JimFitz

Re: Headlight

Post by JimFitz »

Should be ok Graham but may test your charging system. Why not fit a LED lamp and you can leave it on day and night?

Regards

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi,
I think that will be a step too far...30W to 50W at 6v is another 4 amps of load on your system...the wiring may put up with it but I would think your charging system will struggle and is unlikely to have enough capacity and am I right in thinking your G80CS is dynamo?
An LED option is a better way, although I dont know what is available for headlights and bear in mind any LEDs you fit will need to be 6v and dont forget they are polarity conscious, unlike a filament bulb, so youd need to get either positive or negative earth LED depending on how your bike is wired. Easiest way to tell is to see which terminal of the battery goes to the frame.
Hope this helps.
Regards kk
Last edited by kernow kid on Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
alanjennings

Post by alanjennings »

Just fitted an led bulb to my model 20- seems good and draws about 20 watts. You must of course be 12 volts with suitable voltage control unit etc . One point to note is most led bulbs are negative earth ONLY!!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Expat

Post by Expat »

Fitted 6v pos earth leds front and back to my G3 some months ago and can vouch for their performance and they are easily found now.

Try Paul Goff's or one of the other dynamo/vintage vehicle electrical suppliers websites. Can't remember the name right now, senior moment ;)

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

This is where I got my "Double Dipper" http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... ds-etc.php

Regards

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
Expat

Post by Expat »

That's the very one I couldn't remember :rofl: How sad, that's where I got mine, I think on your recommendation too!

Thanks Jim :lol:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)