new member needs help

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
TAG1

new member needs help

Post by TAG1 »

hello i have started collecting AMC products over the last 3 years. i currently have a 54 AJS 18S(RESTORED), A MATCHLESS G12 OLDER RESTORATION, VERY DEPENDABLE RIDER,a 53 AJS 500 TWIN BEING RESTORED AT THIS TIME,AND I NEED ADVICE ON WHAT I HAVE IN TWO SINGLES. I RECENTLY BOUGHT FROM A FRIEND TWO TYPHOONS.I NEED CONFERMATION THEY ARE CORRECT FRAME NUBERS AND ENGINES.I POSTED UNDER A DIFFERENT LOCATION ON THIS SITE, and was told no factory records exist on the typhoons.
what i really need to find out before i send thousands on restoring them if they are worthy of restoration (matched number wise)i saw a small "c" then large stamped umbers on the r side down tubes of both bikes.there are also other numbers but i am assuming they are casting numbers(?) here are the numbers. please confirm they are or are not correct for even not being typhoons, just regular 500cc models,so i can make a decision on whether to drive to canada(2,000 miles round trip to the restorers shop) this week,so any help asap would be appreciated. -1959 AJS
FRAME#c8599
engine#59 18tcs-3299

1961 matchless
frame# c9189
engine# 61-g80 cs 4415( note there is a space before the cs as i suspect there is a faint "t" between the g80 and the cs4415.any help would be greatly appreciated so i can plan my trip or not this week.
clive

Re: new member needs help

Post by clive »

I think this has been answered under another post on the same topic
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G15 Roy

Re: new member needs help

Post by G15 Roy »

Just giving the numbers is no good you need to send photos of all the numbers to the dating officer
( that's me ) as I said there are no factory records. Once I have seen them I will tell you if the numbers look to be original or not and then you can make your own decision.
Roy