2017 Westward Ho! Run

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MikeM.

Re: 2017 Westward Ho! Run

Post by MikeM. »

Apologies for the incorrect model thought it was a Matchless! Geriatric moment I guess. However it certainly emitted a real crack when the unburnt fuel ignition ed In the silencer. Took several photos at the start and will send them to hon Jampot committee editor(s). Not particularly brilliant pictures but may pass muster.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I did the same a few years ago in cheddar village after stopping my 46 G80 to keep noise down when looking at the map at 2am . went to restart and biggest backfire every shook all the windows. it all down to careful maintenance.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Hi Fans!
I arrived home safe and sound at 7.30 this evening, although I do ache all over. I don't think I'll feel the urge to go for a bike ride tomorrow. :lol:
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Well done Janet, glad you survived the trip to Lynmouth and home ok!
Expat

Post by Expat »

Yes well done Janet and all the other intrepid entrants of this trial of man, (and woman!) against elderly motorcycle, weather conditions and geographical adversity! :)

Sounds like a nice soak in a hot bath and an early night is what's called for!

Glad all made the trip safely.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Much respect Janet, well over 700miles with minimal sleep in just over 2 days on a bike that's lighting, even by 6v standards, I would describe as poor is an epic achievement, hat metaphorically tipped in your direction.
Janet

Post by Janet »

It's a good job I eat a lot of carrots. :lol: I was going to investigate the problem yesterday but didn't feel up to it. Later today I'll look to see if I can find anything obviously faulty on Vesta, goddess of fire :roll: . Perhaps a little less fire in the engine and a tad more in the headlamp would have been better. Still, life would be dull without such difficulties, rather than dim.
clive

Post by clive »

Wll done Janet, there and back a tribute to your maintenance skills.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
BRobbo

Post by BRobbo »

Yes Janet, great effort, very well done. I'm afraid I copped out this year so I feel suitably chastened. Barry. :beer:
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

One of our members, Richard, suffered a catostrophic failure of the front brake torque arm, resulting in a broken torque arm, brake plate, cam spindle and fork alloy slider. He was on his way home after the Westward Ho when it happened, so luckily in daylight, but in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal. He was helped out by 2 Newbury members who gave him a lift to a pub where he could phone for help. Lucky not to have a nasty accident, Richard was a naturally a bit shook up but is OK. Thanks to Peter and Maurice for your help.
Cheers Dave.