2017 Westward Ho! Run

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Janet

Re: 2017 Westward Ho! Run

Post by Janet »

Ta to you, too. I haven't a clue, you see. I took the number from the parts list and the bolt that came out wasn't drilled anywhere. I rather suspect that the reason it came out was that someone didn't tighten it up properly after putting the tank back on a couple of weeks / 500 miles ago. :oops:

Hmm! With all these helpful people, it looks like I may have to think of a contingency excuse for if the weather gets really bad next week.
clive

Post by clive »

oh dear a further bodge suggestion coming. If the thread has gone in the tank as Rob has suggested you can get away with a mini exhaust rubber. This has a threaded bolt both sides and will wind in by hand into a worn thread. It sits above the bracket and so cannot escape. This bodge has done me for years on some bikes. I take one with me when travelling long distances as a get you home dodge. At least it works on the heavyweights.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Janet

Post by Janet »

I've a G80 tank with something like you describe screwed into it but I think they're too thick for the G2 tank fixings. I thought they were standard fitting as the tank came with the G80. :lol:

I've now replaced the errant bolt, spacer, etc and Vesta's tank is secure. It took some jiggling because one of the mounting holes is slightly out of line compared with the bracket which I suspect may be everso slightly bent on one side.

I've also re-set a tappet, adjusted the clutch slightly, checked the chains and replaced part of the fuel pipe that was showing a slight crack. It wasn't leaking but I had a bit spare so thought it sensible. Hopefully, I'll get out in the next few days for another test ride or two, leaving just the final checks on oils, tyres, lights, cables, nuts and bolts, before heading off on Friday.

I've worked through the route instructions and I'm not looking forward to the final few miles. Although they will be in daylight, I'll be tired and it's a bit bendy and bumpy. "Thinks!" If I get behind time I may have to miss out that part of the route to be in Lynmouth in time for brekky. ;) Note the optimism that I'll get that far. :rofl:

Now to work out what I need to take with me.......................
Janet

Post by Janet »

Vesta's all loaded and ready to go . I'm just having something to eat before setting off to the the start.

Optimism says that without breaking down I'll get from Hull to Weyhill, 230 miles.
Then, mainly in the dark, Weyhill to Lynmouth, 180 miles.
Finally, on Sunday, Lynmouth the Hull, 300+ miles, depending on which route I take back.

As Gracie Fields sang (before my time) "Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye...."
Expat

Post by Expat »

Janet,
I wish you and all the entrants the best and a safe trip also. :beer: :D

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Janet wrote:Vesta's all loaded and ready to go . I'm just having something to eat before setting off to the the start.

Optimism says that without breaking down I'll get from Hull to Weyhill, 230 miles.
Then, mainly in the dark, Weyhill to Lynmouth, 180 miles.
Finally, on Sunday, Lynmouth the Hull, 300+ miles, depending on which route I take back.

As Gracie Fields sang (before my time) "Wish me luck as you wave me goodbye...."
I understand that the breakdown van cab has been cleaned and the back swept out lets hope you don't need it have a good trip.
Roy
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

All away safely although one or two weren't all that keen to start, a certain G15 in particular woke the neighbourhood when after refusing to start let out an almighty bang in the silencer! 😂
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

I understand the only thing that broke down was the brake down trailer. :lol: well done the rest of you.
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Wasn't the trailer as such, more that the lightboard became detached due to the fact that the bumpy road allowed the bungee cords to flex and eventually wore through. It bounced merrily along smashing the rear lights and pulling out the plug which then duly bounced in harmony and wore through the casing and wore down the brass pins!!! Spent 30mins or more at the first stop putting it all back together and from then on it was all good. I'm glad it did and all the bikes ran perfectly because it appears the organisers wrote down my mobile incorrectly.. :oops: :oops: Coupled with the fact that Steve also left his mobile at home by mistake.. :oops: :oops: :oops:

:rofl: :rofl:
clive

Post by clive »

Janet let us know when you are home safely! no use made of the breakdown vehicle then.
Sorry to miss the event but have just moved my mother (95) to her new sheltered flat nearby and I was still emptying boxes, fixing the sink etc.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix