Hello from a new member

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
rob4586

Hello from a new member

Post by rob4586 »

Good evening chaps,

I've just joined the forum after buying a 1951 Matchless G9 this weekend.

I look forward to getting her running and enjoying the ride...there isn't much to be done, but currently I don't even know how to start her!

Regards,
Rob
MikeM.

Re: Hello from a new member

Post by MikeM. »

Welcome to the forum Rob, you will get a load of information and help from various members of the club. Starting routine is as follows:- As you have just got bike check all oil levels first. Turn on right hand side fuel tap, left is normally reserve. Retard ignition lever about a third on left hand side of handlebar about a third and close air lever about a third to two thirds depending on how cold the outdoor temperature is, depress tickler button on float chamber to flood carburettor for about ten seconds. Open throttle between an eight to a third and turn the engine over a couple of times to charge cylinders, depress tickler again for two seconds and bring piston up on compression. Give the kickstart a good rt swing and hopefully the bike will start!
If it kicks back on you then retard ignition a little bit more. You may have to try various throttle openings before finding the best for your bike. When engine is started fully advance ignition and fully open air lever. I hope this will be of help. MikeM. Surrey
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi Rob, welcome to the club.
Kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
Johnobirches

Post by Johnobirches »

Hi Rob,

good luck getting her going.

See you on a run someday.

John
Flash

Post by Flash »

Hello Rob.
Welcome to the club, I'm sure you will get loads of info from the site. The G9 is a great bike I have had one for years now and I can rely on it to take me anywhere and have ridden it to many International rallies on it including Poland and Switzerland. Hope to make your acquaintance on some future events.

Regards TTJohn AKA Flash
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

Welcome Rob!
Not fired is always a misser!
leswaller

Post by leswaller »

I can only reiterate what Flash says, I have a G9 and it is my favourite bike to ride in my collection and has been ridden to France, Holland and Germany and will be going to Poland for this summer's international rally. Welcome to the club, ride and enjoy. What ever problems you come across with the bike you will almost certainly find a solution from the members on this forum
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

leswaller wrote:I can only reiterate what Flash says, I have a G9 and it is my favourite bike to ride in my collection and has been ridden to France, Holland and Germany and will be going to Poland for this summer's international rally. Welcome to the club, ride and enjoy. What ever problems you come across with the bike you will almost certainly find a solution from the members on this forum
How many miles to Poland Les. :oops:
Roy
Janet

Post by Janet »

G15 Roy wrote:
leswaller wrote:I can only reiterate what Flash says, I have a G9 and it is my favourite bike to ride in my collection and has been ridden to France, Holland and Germany and will be going to Poland for this summer's international rally. Welcome to the club, ride and enjoy. What ever problems you come across with the bike you will almost certainly find a solution from the members on this forum
Won't that depend on where he's setting off from?
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Janet wrote:
G15 Roy wrote:
Won't that depend on where he's setting off from?
Or how the bike is getting there :?:
Roy