Burman BAP gearbox.

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Greybeard

Re: Burman BAP gearbox.

Post by Greybeard »

Hello, Andrew.
I have a Burman BAP g/box on my 1937 Sunbeam. I understand that they were also used by Vincent, Ariel Sq4s and Panther heavyweights. I know the Ariel one had a different casing to cope with the wider engine, but also found out that whilst many internals are interchangeable there are several lengths of mainshaft, presumably to suit the various clutch arrangements.
Fortunately my mainshaft was ok though i replaced many other parts (over 800 quids worth :shock: some new, some good 2nd hand) to cure the whine in 2nd and 3rd gear.
The Vincent owners Club were having new shafts made but you need to get them to check on measurements. The internals of the BAP box are not case hardened which also makes remanufacture a more reasonable proposition. You may find a skilled engineering company with experience of gear cutting etc that would be prepared to make one. Itll be expensive - they always are - but unless you're very lucky, it might be the only option.

Steve
Alpine1965

Re: Burman BAP gearbox.

Post by Alpine1965 »

Thanks Steve - appreciate your reply thanks . Here in South Australia there is a skilled person able to remake / replicate many AMC items including Burman CP gearbox mainshafts - the mainshaft I think is the one year only 51 Compy swing arm BAP Burman is almost the same except say 10 per cent bigger as the BAP box was a bigger gearbox .
If all else fails I will investigate a custom made mainshaft - but it's one thing to set up to make a batch of CP ( popular gearbox ) mainshafts and another to set up for one or a select few 51 competition AMC purists !
Cheers