Frame Question

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MartinAmes

Frame Question

Post by MartinAmes »

Frame.JPG
I have seen this type of frame a few times and wonder if anyone can identify it.
The main problem is the vertical (ish) part in the centre of the frame (seat post maybe?)
In all the documentation and spares list I have looked at, I cannot see this part illustrated.
Most frames have a straight tube with a few lugs on it, but this part seems to be a large cast oval piece with a hole in the middle.
Can anybody tell me which model and year this is from?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanengineer

Re: Frame Question

Post by alanengineer »

53ish (pre 55) G9 or mod 20

if its yours get it dated properly before you go any further . I know to my cost.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

it looks like a 54 Twin frame
Poul
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Certainly a twin frame as it has the twin head steady welded on the front down tube. Frame number will confirm the year.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

'tis a similar frame to mine with the detachable swinging arm casting in alloy, these frames, well to me anyway, give the impression that they were original ridgid[ should there be a 'd' in this?] converted to adopt a swing arm lower rails and rear subframe, the later ones had a vertical saddle tube and a cast in alloy swing arm mounting, pretty sure the lower rails differ also, I think the apertue in the saddle tube is for an air cleaner type thingy similar to the Triumph frames of this era, kind regards
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

as I remember it, 53 no hole in the seat tube, 54 oval hole only twin, 55 different hole in the tube with studs through the tube for oil tank and battery carrier,
Poul
shifter

Post by shifter »

16ms frame.png
My 1955 A.J.S. 350 16ms has got the same frame mid vertical seat tube with a hole in but with no (head steady lug on the front down tube) just the petrol tank fittings and it must be correct as according to genuine paperwork I have all the numbers ie Engine/Gearbox/Frame are the matching ones it came out of with the factory with on the 15/07/1955 even the registration number is the original
Re (ajsph) I had a 1953 single 16 and that had the straight mid vertical seat tube
The illustration above is a one I found for sale through google
I have looks in my owners club parts catalogue issue 57 dated 2008/9 and on page 27 is the 1955 illustrations the frame with the hole in the seat tube is evident
Last edited by shifter on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 9 times in total.
?
dodger

Post by dodger »

It's the same frame as my 1951 G9

Laurie
zwarts

Post by zwarts »

Martin. The frame in your original photo is an AMC twin frame which will date to 1952 - '54. As previously mentioned, the hole in the seat tube is to accommodate an air filter. 'Goldstar' is quite correct in his assumption that the front part of these frames (and the corresponding single cylinder frames) was interchangeable with the rigid OR sprung rear ends. Of course, the works never made a rigid framed twin but it is quite a simple thing to do and I know of at least three examples currently in existence.
I would suggest that the frame in 'Shifter's photo is a mismatch of a 52-54 front frame (twin)with a later (post '56) Girling back end.
Alan's advice about getting it identified via the club dating service is well worth heeding!
shifter

Post by shifter »

I have a dating / certificate of authenticity to say that my 16ms is genuine i was told quite a few years ago from a chap that amc matchless ajs used what was going at the time interchangeging parts on building bikes in the factory
?