What shop?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
ajsph

Re: What shop?

Post by ajsph »

The picture shows me together with Connie & Jens Peter, on our way to Forest of Dean in 1989
Poul
Francis.jpg
Francis 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janet

Post by Janet »

saltbox alf wrote:Yes Janet, correct, perhaps I should have written 'and what was the name of the shop' :oops:
But that wouldn't be fair. I don't even know where Catford is so, even with my amazing sleuthing skills, how on earth could I be expected to discover the previous name of a shop there?

;)
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

I expect it would be the same for me, not knowing shops, unless I had broken down in the area.
I did find a 'other mark' dealer in kendal when I bust the g/box main shaft on my Starfire. Had the bit in stock too; wonder why??
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Janet

Post by Janet »

saltbox alf wrote:I expect it would be the same for me, not knowing shops, unless I had broken down in the area.
I did find a 'other mark' dealer in kendal when I bust the g/box main shaft on my Starfire. Had the bit in stock too; wonder why??
Because it's a bit hilly just North of Kendal and a lot of young kids would have gone there to thrash their bikes up the passes without first changing the appropriate bits to trials gearing*. Therefore a shop with the foresight to stock spares to replace the breakages would get a lot of custom.

*Apparently Glyn got to the top of Hardknott without breaking his Starfire because he'd done this before leaving Sheffield. His mates on bigger bikes accused him of cheating.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stuoyb wrote:I think everyone would wait for you to put your answer in Rob and then .......... All answers would be correct! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
That's cheating. I have a better plan. send the quiz master a pic of a rare prewar part. with a bit of luck I may be the only one to get it right. In the past I have played fair. If any of my pics get used, I do not take part.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajsph wrote:The picture shows me together with Connie & Jens Peter, on our way to Forest of Dean in 1989
Poul
Francis.jpg
Francis 2.jpg
Nice old picture Poul, from Joe Frances you still had a fair way to go along the A40 to Forest of Dean. a road I took many time going to Wale's in the mid 1950's. I used to turn off the A40 and take a smaller road right past where the rally was held, and exit at Monmouth. Take a look at my January Jampot magazine prewar page. The car I featured with the UK 9548 reg. no. was at the 1989 Jampot rally. I did ask in Jampot if anyone knows if the car exists. A few days later I was looking at the Video of Jampot 1989. I saw UK 9548 AJS car on the video going out the gate with the bikes on the Sunday run. There was also a Stevens 3 wheel van at that rally.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Can anyone guess what shop this is? ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It says Russell on the shop sign.
Bogwheel

Post by Bogwheel »

Anyone remember "Old Hoopers" in Hotwells, Bristol? It was in a sort of cave under QEH School grounds, more of a breakers than a bike shop, but Mr Hooper or Alistair would root around in the piles and find just about anything. Probably closed early 60s
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There was a shop in Hoddesdon Herffordshire called S F Norris. It got flattened to build a shopping centre, recently, almost flattened again to build a Morrisons superstore. When in the original old shop I was told the workshop, I was told a spanner was drooped through a gap in the floor boards. They lifted a floor board to discover the workshop was built over a huge Roman Well. The floor being in a bad state of repair was removed. They decided the Well ideal place to get rid of all the old bikes in the scrap yard. which was concreted over. Still there I guess. The shop moved into the new built shopping centre. It eventually stopped selling motor bike, repairs parts etc. It carried on selling electrical goods. In the late 1980's I was in the shop. Old Mr Norris and two lads still worked in the shop. I said to the old boy, wish you still sold bike parts, why? he said. So I told him what part I wanted. He pulled a drawer under the counter, and slapped the part I wanted on the counter just as he did 30 years ago. ( 30 years before the late 1980's ) I was amazed. He said he still had a full small bits in drawers under the counter. He told me, when they stopped selling bikes and parts everything was stored in an old barn. From brand new bikes to the smallest part. Hamrax from London, that was still open at the time wanted to buy his old stock. The old boy said he made a complete list of the stock of parts and some new unsold bikes. The amount Hamrax offered worked out at a few pence per part or bike. He said he put the lock back on the barn door and there the lot stayed. Can anyone end the story and tell what happened to all the S F Norris stock?