350 lightweight piston

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Marty

350 lightweight piston

Post by Marty »

Hello All
Would anyone have a piston for a 350 lightweight easily accessible ? I don't have one but am looking at the feasibility of fitting one to my longstroke G3LC. I need to know the distance from the top of the gudgeon hole to the top of the piston (without the crown height).
I want to find a piston of non longstroke dimensions as a sleeve was fitted to the barrel (spectacularly unsuccessfully) and it was counterbored to stop it moving (again, failed). The counterbore is 10 thou under a G5 +20 bore size. There is still a lot of meat on the original cast in bore. If the gudgeon height is the same as the longstroke I will bore the barrel and make a 3/4" small end bush.
Has anyone done this ? I know the factory made 410's out of the l/s 350's. They used the piston from the s/stroke scrambler engine (same height as the l/stroke), but that has a bit more squeeze than I am looking for.
Thanks
Marty
Ozmadman

Re: 350 lightweight piston

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi Marty
Here is a picture of a +040" piston, I measured from the top of the gudgeon pin hole (not from the slight taper you will notice in the picture but exactly from where the pin goes through) it measures 1 and 5/16" or 33.5mm. The lightweight piston has a flat crown
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Marty, just for you to compare- I have an original piston which does not have a taper as per Paul's photo and measured 34.19mm.
G5 piston.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Thank you both for your info. I will get back to you when I compare dimensions
Marty

Post by Marty »

Well, gudgeon heights are near enough to identical, so now the search starts for a +20 G5/Model 8 piston.
Thanks again for your help
Marty
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Marty wrote:Well, gudgeon heights are near enough to identical, so now the search starts for a +20 G5/Model 8 piston.
Thanks again for your help
Marty
Try here

http://www.jp.com.au/MCA.html
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks Paul. I have used JP in the past when I am unable to source BHB or hepolite. For the amount of use I am going to give it, a good used piston would be fine. Would anybody in the group have one in their shed ? I will put a Wanted in the potty
Marty
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Why not try John Harding 01989 750731
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Marty this is an extract from the technical section on this web site and may help you widen your search for a suitable piston

''Most wearing engine parts are readily available from either the Club Spares Scheme or the London shops. However, do not expect them to be cheaper than other new parts. The 25Occ piston had either a circular or steeply ramped crown while the 35Occ one was fiat. Over-weight pistons should be avoided since the loads on the crankpin are increased, giving a short crankpin life, and vibration will be worse. On the 350cc engine, an AMC 600cc piston can be used. This will give a higher compression ratio''

I am sure someone will know what year and model 600 is best for piston donation.

Good luck with your project

Steve
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rangy65 wrote:Hi Marty this is an extract from the technical section on this web site and may help you widen your search for a suitable piston

'' On the 350cc engine, an AMC 600cc piston can be used. This will give a higher compression ratio''

I am sure someone will know what year and model 600 is best for piston donation.

Good luck with your project

Steve
The info given above relates to the use of a Twin piston in a Lightweight 350 and is incorrect. It is actually a 1959 only 650 Twin piston that fits into the Lightweight 350. If you fit a 600 piston the compression is very low due to the gudgeon pin being nearer the crown.