G3 First ride

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
chilly

Re: G3 First ride

Post by chilly »

Nice write up about a 61 350 in Old Bike Mart Mr Heinz , i think you would enjoy what his take is on the ole girl and put your mind at ease for future use :) ;) .
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

I,m more than happy with 50-60mph, always thinking about the drum brakes for stopping and slow down expecting every car from the side road to pull out in front of me.
Besides Pete, you must be brave riding this weather I,m not venturing out down south and we are probably a couple degrees warmer than you.
Mike
Heinz 57

Post by Heinz 57 »

I will be joining soon. The spares part too.

I'll look out for that mag. I suppose it's on line as well. Hey, Chilly, can you PM me your e mail as I can't send PM's yet.

Im not that brave Mikey, I don't go far enough to get too cold. I aim to go to the meeting on the bike tomorrow if I can finally get the petrol tap to stop leaking. Someone posted a tip on here somewhere about wrapping the cork with PTFE tape and that seems to have worked so far. New plungers didn't. I tried boiling in water, soaking in petrol etc.
chilly

Post by chilly »

You have a PM mate
Richard Mills

Post by Richard Mills »

I have a 1959 G3 which had the standard sprockets E19,C42,G16,R42. I ran it with the standard 19" rear wheel but with a 3.50 tyre (as fitted to the 500) rather than the standard 3.25. Roy Bacon gives (from Avon) the revs/mile as 777 for the 3.50 and 794 for the 3.25; I haven't checked if he is correct. I found the gearing OK pulling my 11st and with a 8st pillion, but no luggage.
Nowadays I ride without a pillion and it definitely felt undergeared so I decided to raise it by changing the engine sprocket. I thought that an increase from 19 to 22 as fitted to the 500 would probably be too much for it. 20 would work OK but would not raise it enough and would not be worth the cost.
Therefore changed it to 21 and have found it just right. (I think that with a 3.50x18 rear the same overall effect would need a 22 tooth engine sprocket.) Incidentally, the sprocket change from 19 to 21 necessitated a longer primary chain (adjustment alone was insufficient).
Hope that this helps you decide what would suit you best.
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Of course it may have been geared for a side car at some point in its life .....
It's all just riding motorbikes
Heinz 57

Post by Heinz 57 »

Very interesting information Richard. That's given me a few more clues. Thanks very much.

Sidecar gearing hmmmm. Quite possible.
chilly

Post by chilly »

How did you get on with the bike yesterday then Pete ?
Heinz 57

Post by Heinz 57 »

Not bad. Had a ride down to the Cotswolds during the day and then on to the owners club meeting in Kenilworth. Still think it's well under geared though so the primary is coming off to see what's in there. Perhaps try an eighteen tooth gearbox sprocket if the primary is standard. Failing that I'll get a V-Max :shock:
jeffthetyre

Post by jeffthetyre »

Hi I am a new member and would like to say a bit about my experience with my Ajay in the sixties,I have fond memories of riding in the mods and rockers era,personally I was just a motorcycle enthusiast but got caught up with the mayhem of the era.I also had a Triumph cub trials bike which I used competitively but could never afford
it,anyway my Ajay lost a con rod big end and I went to AMC at woolwich the man at the parts department felt sorry for me and gave me a new Conrod .I had few months out of it but I think it had got metal debris in the oil ways and it seized up completely unfortunately I could no afford to fix it so I gave it to my motorcycle mechanics club to use as part of teaching youngsters how to repair motor cycles.I often wonder what become of it,I would have bought another one but got married and could not have afforded one. Any way sorry for the long winded story but just to say good luck to you all and enjoy your motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk