The Alternative Rally -Sob!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Janet

Post by Janet »

This year I was really intending to go, having always been elsewhere in previous years. I was going to ask permission to go on my LE, it being old and British, but I broke its starter mechanism on the Scottish National Rally and it isn't recommended to push start a small shaft driven bike, although I did for the 800 miles that weekend. Well, it was push or cancel.

I'm not allowed to go to the Alternative on my Honda*, although I had considered strapping a Matchless tank on and a few other bits, claiming it was just non-standard, but I knew some expert would point out that I had the wrong bolt holding on my footpeg, and would have me ejected.

Ah well, there's always next year. I might even have the Matchless rebuilt. ( looks upwards, checking for pink oinky things going past )

* No, I'm not complaining about the rules. I'd object if I was banned because I was riding a Honda but then they let people go in cars. I went on the Honda to a BSA do with Glyn where two people got really nasty about it ( not banter ) yet they never mentioned the people who weren't on a bike at all.
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Some people are just bitter. Best to ignore them. Any bike is better than a car. I've been on a run on which two owners turned up and went on the run in cars because it was raining. No, really!!

Lawrence [}:)]
Eric

Post by Eric »

The most important thing is that they turned up at all. After that they could just have gone home again, but they at least supported the organiser by going in the car. This meant that should anyone break down they would at least have somewhere dry to sit while waiting for the very nice man to arrive. There is always something good to find in these adverse situation.

lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Very true! And they are both nice old boys as well so good company at the destination hostelry. (if they see this they are going to be mad that I said they were 'old' boys!). It still felt a bit bizarre.

Lawrence [}:)]
bjork

Post by bjork »

Psst! keep it quiet Janet, but you could have got away with it! just like the Sanglas and BMW K series outfit riders did. I joked earlier about the bikes in the B&B too, well a couple of you took it as a reasonable suggestion and did that too! You know who you are![}:)]
What is the world coming to[?] Standards have obviously been as watered down as the rallyists them selves were.[;)]

Spoof moan over, I had a great weekend and would-no-will, do it all again. So thanks to all in the N/Wales+Cheshire section.

Fred didn't make it, I think North Wales police picked his trousers up on radar [:(] and closed the border just in time.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ain't that typical. Tha law-abiding citizen suffers by sticking to the rules and the criminals who flout them reap the benefits.

Well tough. In future I'm not going to go however much I'm begged to. It's no use trying the weeping and wailing and gnashing of dentures. I can see a deliberate plot to keep me away. [:(!]

It's your loss. [;)]