These modern Jap bikes are rubbish!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Well I thought Jap bikes were supposed to be reliable? Today one of the rear bulbs blew on my ZZR. It has only done 20,000 miles and it is the second thing to go wrong on it. At 10,000 one of the instrument panel bulbs blew. Luckily I managed to limp home[:D]

Lawrence [}:)]
bjork

Post by bjork »

Limped home??? I do think the responsible thing to do would have been to consult your owners manual before phoning the recovery service. Just think what carnage may have resulted if you had done this at night, unable to read the speedo, remember speed kills! And worse still you could have got nicked! Would your reputation be able to withstand the shame[?] I do agree about modern bikes though, my TDM has used up the most of it's rear tyre tread in only a few thousand miles! It was new only last May! will the Japanese never get the hang of it[?][:p] Note to self-don't use this bike for the Alternative, and if Lawrence turns up on a ZZR snitch on him to the organisers at the same time as reporting the trailers in the layby 3 miles away. You know, outside the B&B.[8)]
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
James Stewart

Post by James Stewart »

Well I don't know what ZZR you have but I have the ZZR1200 and it has been the most reliable bikle I have ever owned. I have toured Spain on her and recently returned from a trip to Romania (a round trip of 3,756 miles); I have not had one bit of trouble.

Much as I like old british bikes let's keep things in perspective?

Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Kept this up Lawrence and you might just manage to keep the bulb manufacturers in business[:D]
m knight.

Post by m knight. »

I use my 1946 Matchless G80 every day for work and am fed up with people asking me if it is realiable! The problem with British bikes is that everyone thinks they are simple, so when they encounter a problem they rip them apart and find out what it is. I use to work in a modern motorcycle garage, when you take a modern bike appart all the shafts etc are fixed in position unless you are a bit daft you couldnt put them in the cases in the wrong position! On the Matchless when I removed the bottom end for Mr Saggers to put in a B.S.A. big end I had to put the reassembled bottom end back in the frame myself, reassembly was a nightmare! The Clutch and the engine sprocket didnt line up as a previous owner had been fiddiling about and messed that up, so I fixed this, then the gearbox and rear wheel where out of alignment, so this also had to be adjusted by making up shims etc, then when I tried to fit the primary drive cases I found they where bent to clear the chain in its previously badly fitted form! I love bikes old and new but you cant compare old and new! You dont have to fiddle with new bikes, but old bikes are more fun,and dont depreciate from six grand to bugger all in six years!

bjork

Post by bjork »

Reply to James-sorry James I was only joking, rubbish joke I know but that's all it was really. I think Lawrence was joking too, I mean who ever heard of a modern bike rider actually using the bike for riding at night? at THIS time of year?[8D] As for keeping things in perspective, you'll be lucky, keeping them in focus is the main challenge for most of us.[;)] That's a rubbish joke about vibration by the way.[}:)] and to the other Trio- Ich leib dich nicht du leibst mich nicht, Da Da Da.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Well spotted Steve! It was a joke. My sympathy to Michael, I know just what he means.

Lawrence [}:)]
Janet

Post by Janet »

My modern Jap bike is great.

That would be the one that's only 27years old.

My old one (29 ) is even better.

It's got everything it should have - oil leaks, rattles, rust. I love it to bits.

m knight.

Post by m knight. »

I take it all back my exhaust valve jammed in its guide last wednesday and I hade to take it home in a trailer, but at least it only took two days to get it back on the road and it cost less than £30.00 to repair![xx(][xx(][:I]