Anyone owned a Harris Matchless?

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

They don't seem to have been discussed around here. I'm looking for a bike o' t' marque, and I notice these machines seem to be available for reasonable sums. Never seen one in action or met anyone who has owned one, so would be interested in hearing from an ex-owner, present owner, or even someone with one to sell.

I've owned a G2CSR, ridden a late-model "real" G80 (quite impressed) and a 650 twin (less impressed) and at one time was attempting to restore a WDG3L (gave up).

Look forward to hearing your tales, good or sad.

Roy
bjork

Post by bjork »

quite a few members own these bikes and are happy with them.what you get is not like the old G80's,but a modern single that will take a lot of abuse for only rudimentary maintenance.the same engine has been used by almost everybody at some time or other.ie road racers to motocrossers,it even stands up to squaddies!the harris matchless seems to have been overgeared,and a bit of time with the sprocket shop is worthwhile.it can be tuned overbored etc,has a good frame and suspension and its even got modern(ish) brakes.I own and love an old G80 but would love a harris bike,go on buy one!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

Thanks. I fancy a 500 Single again, preferably one that keeps the oil on the inside . . . so will keep both eyes open for one of these.
FWIW, four years ago I sold the Lightweight and bought a 1983 BMW R65. I'm in the process of selling it, and with the proceeds could almost buy another Lightweight . . . but I think I'll put it towards one of these, if I find a good 'un.
Roy
Biscuit
Deceased

Post by Biscuit »

Both my Matchless' keep the oil inside - inside the garage!

Charles.
Deceased

Post by Charles. »

Well, I've been and gorn and done it, bought a 1988 Harris (aka Devon) Matchless, no electric welly-button as I have my reputation as a rider of Old English machinery to consider.

Just wondering - to save reinventing the wheel, has anyone sorted out where to get spares for these things, what sort of problems may arise etc.? I notice that there are quite a few rubber items - before I try and source replacements for the oil filler cap seals, for instance, is there a known source?

I wanted a bike that kept the oil on the inside, but after riding this one home (about 120 miles) a fair amount of oil was on my right boot. I'm hoping this is only overspill from the tank, as the oil has been changed recently . . .

Roy