We are all going to be rich [:D]

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

Hi Joolz.

Welcome to the forum.
Nice write-up and many a true word spoken.
If you are worried about vibration have your crank balance before you fit it in. There has been several entries on this forum relating to this and it seems to reduce vibration a great deal.

I have the G11 (600 twin) and I don't find the vibration a problem, I also have a modern BMW but I get more smiles per mile on the old brit. [:D]

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
joolz

Post by joolz »

Truscott,

Fair comment about the insurance - although I know at least one person who's spending that amount. But perhaps he has been a Naughty Boy...

I've found that if you do a reasonable mileage on Japanese sports bikes, the "consumables" are the bits that hit you in the wallet - tyres, chains, sprockets, pads & discs are costly and wear out at an alarming rate.

I was fortunate with my partner - she was already into bikes when I met her. "Sometimes I think she loves that bike more than me..."

And thanks to Michael for the advice about the crank - I shall look into it...

Oh dear, we seem to have strayed "off-topic" somewhat...

Joolz

Colin F

Post by Colin F »

quote:Originally posted by Joolz Williams

Oh dear, we seem to have strayed "off-topic" somewhat...

Joolz

No, you are not off topic, you have put forward a lot of the thinking of the club committee. The comparison of the costs of running a modern against a classic.
There is one other important comparison that you missed, that of retaining your driving licence! [:D]
I can't remember the last time I heard anyone riding a classic got a speeding ticket, it's not riders don't go fast, speed tends to be used more appropritatly, maybe it's the lack of "maniac" acceleration.[:0]
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Ref the comments of the last speaker Marten
a/How many new members would we require to generate a poultry £20000 per annum
b/What extra cost are we likely to have that we cannot control
c/what would happen to all the spares if we had just walked away.
Just a few thoughts from a simple bucket and spade chemist[:I]

Chemists do it with test tubes
Janet

Post by Janet »

quote:Originally posted by Stuart Walker

Ref the comments of the last speaker Marten
a/How many new members would we require to generate a poultry £20000 per annum

Aw, that's chicken feed. [:D]
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Blimey, I go away for three days and everyone starts writing essays!! Great!!!! I only put this up as a spoof topic but pretty well every comment is excellent.

I like Joolz. He should be on the committee with all our other sages. Regarding the vibration he is absolutely correct, on standard Brits it is so bad that it is hard to see how our industry dominated the world. It is so easy to cure as well. Like Michael says get your crank balanced (I use Bassett Down) and you will have a sweet reliable motor. I have done 6000 miles on my Trusty Triumph since balancing and not a bulb has blown or one thing broken (its getting a bit boring to own[:D]). This is in stark contrast to before.

Regarding the cost. It pains me to admit that I have spent £1200 in the last twelve months on having my Kawasaki serviced and new tyres. In the previous twelve months I spent £900 on servicing and sprockets/chain. I do ride it hard and every day but compared to a classic bike the costs are astronomical. My tyres last me 8000 miles but some riders only get 3000 from a set. Add £300 a year insurance then petrol at 35mpg, etc etc. After the initial investment, classic biking is a cheap hobby.

What was really good to read was about the help that Joolz has received from members of the biking fraternity. We need to do every thing we can to help newcomers to the scene. I do not care whether my bike is worthless in money terms but I do care that it is owned in the future, after me, by someone who will love it as I do. I don’t want it to revert to the horrible state it was in when I bought it. As a youngster if I was foxed by a problem then I could go and ask big brother or the lad two doors down. That is no longer possible but the club is an even better substitute. By welcoming youngsters we assure a future for the scene. After all, I am going to live forever and don’t want to be going on club runs as the sole rider.

Regarding Martin’s comments on ‘just giving Ernie a large sum of money’. It is good to have a different viewpoint. I can understand how some people might look at it this way but Ernie has served the club long and faithfully and has probably given much more of his time for free while running Jampot Spares than we are going to pay him for the business. Yes, the bike trade can be dodgy but that is mainly the new trade. If you look at old magazines many of the dealers are still plodding on after many years. Ernie could probably sell the business on the open market for the same or more money. If he did we, the club, would be the losers. NCB dovetails exactly with the club and Jampot Spares for all the reasons detailed in their memo. I believe the committee have made a good decision. For sure, we would not have the range and value of spares now if they had taken a similar stance years ago. Sometimes one has to be brave.

The future of the classic scene is in our hands now, more than ever before. We should greet the next generation with open arms and clasp them to our bosom. Once converted they are with us for life.

(obviously Janet should not consider this an invitation to clasp young lads to her bosom, there are limits!)[:I]

Lawrence [}:)]
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Criky Lawrence I read War and Peace in less time than your missive[:D]

Chemists do it with test tubes
john

Post by john »

I hope I have this right as I only scan read the yellow sheet that came with Jampot due to spooning wheatabix into a two-year-old at the time.

How much is the club paying for the business? Balanced against how much is the stock worth and how much of the stock run down contributed to the £20,000 profit. This is a critical fact in deciding if this is a good idea for the club. I have no problem with club helping each other especially if this also helps the club. But the financial side must be so clear to avoid members thinking that there is some one on the make.

Joolz and Lawrence, yes you found me out I am a very low mileage biker so ownership costs mean more to me than running.