We are all going to be rich [:D]

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

Good news about Northants Classic Bikes being taken over by Jampot Spares. It makes sense to keep it all under one roof. As 'shareholders' we will all get a part in the profits too [:D]

Seriously, it must be good for the AMC scene. We really need to draw some youngsters into our crowd as well. If we don't our beloved machines will once more end up as rusting unwanted hulks in sheds. Lets encourage some nephews (and nieces, hooray for equality!)

Lawrence [}:)]
Janet

Post by Janet »

Oh dear, it looks like I may have to leave the club if they'e going to turn me into a filthy capitalist. [:(] The Jampot Spares was OK because it was by the people for the people and all that, but to make profits from other people will sorely test my principles. [;)]

Lawrence, I've been trying to discourage my nephew from going anywhere near bikes because he's a total disaster where road safety is concerned.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Well said Lawrence good to see we greyhead still try and plan a future as for being rich Dream On Cheers Stuart(still dreaming)[:D][:D]

Chemists do it with test tubes
ranger

Post by ranger »

I agree that it will be good to have a go at Ernie's business, however, I have misgivings about the future of classics with youngsters. I think I read that Ernie made a profit of around £20K a year, not bad but not huge by today's standards. At all the autojumbles, shows, etc there are just not that many youngsters under the age of, say, 35. As we all get older & pass on, I think there will be more and more older bikes available for a diminsihing audience. Lets face it, most of the younsters want to ride, not fettle, and there is no street cred for them unless they're riding the latest style machine. Conclusion? I think we are already seeing the decline of the classic scene - just ask many of the stallholders at Netley who were bemoaning the lack of punters. Or, next time ata show, just try and spot the youngsters.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hi Tim,
Remember even youngsters get older and may become interested??[:D]

Chemists do it with test tubes
john

Post by john »

As a new AMC owner I think the prices are the biggest problem. With the average 500 single going for £2000+ and anything faster, flasher or older is more money again. It is hard to make this commitment with the family budget on something, which can only be viewed as a hobby (the practical form of transport argument did not wash with my family). Compared with modern bike prices which are falling (1997 Ducati 900SS for the same money) going down the classic option looks expensive. I was lucky, as a family friend offered me his trials Matchless cheap, which he had not ridden for 40 years, as I was the only one under 70 in his extended family who rode a bike.

I am afraid this is all due to the market and supply and demand. Which means there is a health demand for classics from the older and moneyed part of the population. Who want an interesting and involving hobby. And maybe when I have finish paying for school uniforms, dance classes and school fees I can get another classic but unfortunately I will grey haired by then too.

FerG3

Post by FerG3 »

AMC motorcycles are actually pretty reasonable in price compared to the more fashionable Triumphs and BSAs, etc.. You are right, though, its no surprise that the classic old bike scene is dominated by 40s and up - a) we were brought up with these machines, and b) more importantly, we have the spare cash to indulge ourselves. I think that as the younger generations move into this category, there will always be at least some take-up of the bikes left by the dear-departed, but once the baby boomer generation pops its clogs, yes - I think there will be an over-supply. That combined with the banishment of the internal combustion engine in the next 20 years - oh yes! - makes buying an old bike - or an old bike business not a very rosy investment. (??)

Fergus
joolz

Post by joolz »

As another new AMC owner, and one that's (just) in the sub 35 age bracket mentioned, I thought I'd chuck my ha'p'orth into the ring. I was thinking of sending this in to one of the classic bike magazines, as "Getting The Next Generation into Classic Bikes" seems to be a hot topic at the moment, and I thought I'd see what people think.

Just as a bit of background, Jo and I have sort-of "inherited" bikes - an unfortunate but increasingly popular way of joining the classic bike world.
As a consequence, the bikes we have are perhaps not the necessarily the bikes we would have chosen, but they come with sentimental value. Mine's an AJS model 20 (500 twin) which came in bits and is slowly coming together; hers is a Norton model 50 (350 OHV single in a wideline Featherbed).

But, given my experience so far, what would I tell someone else of my age who was interested in a classic bike?

First the bad bits:

i) It's a lot of money to spend on a bike if you don't know whether you'll like it.
I grew up with Jap stuff (Yamaha LCs, Kawasakis GPZ etc) but I had a few mates with Brit bikes who let me have a go. Unfortunately, and I realise this isn't a popular thing to say, I thought most of them were awful. Why? One word: Vibration.
I can put up with inferior performance, handling and braking, but after three miles on the Norton I actually start seeing double. I just can't ride a bike like that. My student-days Honda Superdream was rubbish, but at least it had balancer shafts. So how do you identify a bike which you will like, if you've only ridden modern(ish) bikes? It's hard to get a real impression from a magazine.
The only Brit bike I've ridden which I thought I could get on with was a Norton 500 Dominator. I haven't ridden my AJS yet - I'm praying that I'll like it after all the work...

ii) Tyres
Even if you don't want to go quickly, sooner or later you need to stop quickly. On this basis, I've always run the stickiest compound rubber I can find on the front. But Metzeler no longer make the ME33 100/90 19" in a CompK compound, so there are no longer any sticky front tyres available in a 19" fitment. If you're used to sticky rubber, Speedmasters are frankly terrifying. I don't know how this can be addressed, other than the (fairly expensive) option of switching to 18" rims.

iii) Learning it all
Even if you've been biking & spannering for years, there's a lot to learn when you get your first Brit bike. They handle differently - I think I'm slowly learning that you have to ride them from the middle, rather than around the front wheel. Mechanical components like engines, forks etc are a completely different design, so nothing fits together how you expect it. Of course you need a whole new set of spanners (and a watertight garage).
And that's just the start :
- How do I use the advance/retard?
- What on earth is a magneto?
- Is 1/4" bigger than 5/16"? (I've actually engraved 4/16" on my 1/4" spanner - it makes much more sense!)
- Why do people say that BA2 is a substitute for 3/16" BSCY when it's clearly a rubbish fit?
- How will I ever learn these Byzantine model numbers?

Now the good bits:

iv) Spares
I never fail to be amazed at the availability of spares. True, sometimes they're quite expensive, but given the volumes involved, I'm frankly amazed that you can get them at all. Top marks to the various suppliers and owner's clubs.

v) Cost
Truscott complained about the prices, and it's true that £2000 is not an insignificant amount of money, especially if you missed Mr Blair's Property Escalator. But insurance for a 'Blade could cost you £1600/year, and then there's tyres, chains, etc. Classic bikes cost peanuts to run.

vi) An investment?
I don't care much about the value of my bikes, but I care about the value of other peoples bikes, because that determines what I can afford. IMO, classic cars are seriously undervalued at t
john

Post by john »

Joolz,

You are wasted just writing on this forum, but I will have to argue on the Blade/AMC running cost ratio. True insurance is more (£300/£40) and tax (£60/0) but for oil and parts(£21/£lots) the scales change. If I am kind, its work out to be even.

How did you get your partner into bikes? My wife (Josi) was very supportive over the Fireblade but was not convinced the pile of pig iron I dragged home would be or ever was a motorbike.

In support of the Matchless ever since my body has adapted to the double vision thing, 9 times out of 10 it's the bike I'm riding at the weekend.