lawrence

We are all going to be rich [:D]

Post by lawrence »

That is very sad.

Lawrence [}:)]
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

It would seem that our members not only like old bikes they prefer to stay in the past, too bad I say[V]

Chemists do it with test tubes
m knight.

Post by m knight. »

I thought taking over the bike shop was a great proposition. Buying bikes off a dead members spouce is also a great way of ensuring the motorcycles stay in circulation, and making sure the deceased family arnt riped off when selling a bike, when they have no idea how much it is worth!

joolz

Post by joolz »

Michael -
I don't feel I can usefully contribute to the debate about Northants Classics, so back to tyres for a sec.

We tried Super Venoms on our Norton model 50. While I agree that omnidirectional tyres aren't necessarily a bad thing, in this case I should have let the fact that they can be used on front or rear wheels put me off.

Because they are basically a rear tyre, they are physically quite large and don't fit in the standard front mudguard. I thought I'd set this down so that others are aware of this potential pitfall with mudguards that come a long way down towards the rim.

So we ran it without a front mudguard for a while - the dry grip was OK, but I didn't think much to the wet grip. This didn't matter too much though, because without a mudguard you get a fountain of muddy water in your face! So it was back to the metric vehicles until we got a (non-CompK) ME33. I reckon the ME33 gives better feel, as well as better grip, but it's probably just personal preference. We've still got the Super Venom on the back.

I've never ridden TT100s, but they seem to be the "Marmite" of tyres - people love them or hate them - nothing in between. I've never wanted to risk the money to find out which category I fall in to! As I say, I think the AJay will probably end up with 18" rims shod with seriously sticky rubber - it's a useful compensation for the worst of my exuberance and/or brain fade!

Cheers

Joolz (Living in the past this evening - the other 'alf has nicked my optical mouse, so I'm having to use an old-timer mouse, with a ball! It's nostalgic at first, and I'm glad that people preserve them... but then you start to feel the carpal tunnel symptoms coming on again. Glad I don't have to drive one every day!)